• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommended books for just starting to master Photoshop?

Holysteel

Helo there everybody,

I would like some recommendations on how to start mastering photoshop from scratch.

I have zero experience with photoshop designing. And would like to change that by learning. Cant depend everything on the graphic staffs.

Maybe there is some book that can be recommend. Or perhaps a website.

Please kindly advise.

I will be using photoshop mainly to create banners & billboard & brochures, namecards.

Thank you.

visual800

GOOGLE and YOUTUBE!...but i think illustrator is far more better and easier than photshop...just my opnion

Fanaticus

I learned by doing. Just about any book will teach you something. Also did A LOT of online tutorials and youtube videos.

I would start with simple stuff before trying to do too much. Like learning what the tools are and what they can do.

"Mastering" is going to take a lifetime. Just worry about one accomplishment at a time.

Also, like mentioned above, you'll probably want to learn Illustrator as well. Photoshop is great and there's a lot you can do with it, but there's a lot you can't too. I was like you and put all my focus into photoshop and now, 10 years later, find myself wishing I knew more about Illustrator.

rjssigns

I've said it before I'll say it again. Go find a technical college and take the classes. That is what I did.
That way you are "forced" to show up, learn the programs and perform on a weekly basis.
You will also be able to build your portfolio.

There is also nothing like being in class with a true professional there to answer your questions and show you short-cuts.

Another bonus is I can still e-mail or meet with instructors if necessary or sit in on a class for a refresher. Hard to put a price on that

Online is only good if you are extremely disciplined and able to figure things out on your own.

omgsideburns

You may consider taking a class at a local college? Most of them have at least one class that tries to encompass the basics of the Photoshop and Illustrator.

DSC

Helo there everybody,

I would like some recommendations on how to start mastering photoshop from scratch.

I have zero experience with photoshop designing. And would like to change that by learning. Cant depend everything on the graphic staffs.

Maybe there is some book that can be recommend. Or perhaps a website.

Please kindly advise.

I will be using photoshop mainly to create banners & billboard & brochures, namecards.

Thank you.

Classes are ok, but you have to learn what THEY teach you, it may not be applicable to the sign shop depending on the instructor, and may take you longer to get where you want, since you are industry specific on use..

I would recommend a book like Adobe - "Classroom in a book" or AGI "Dynamic Learning" Series - I have used both -

And to Supplement FIND A MENTOR - schedule weekly meetings and don't waste their time. have specific questions ready for them..ex" "How do I create a green background?" -"How do I make the shadow effect?" etc..

DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH THE KEYBOARD while they teach you. In other words do not watch them do it have them tell you how to do it.. If you watch it will not "stick" ..

I hope that helps !

Good Luck!

C

ColoPrinthead

I played in Photoshop and learned a few tips from my brother when I started with it in 96. I eventually learned it better from Adobe's Classroom in a book series. I really think its a good start and you can pick up the heavier stuff later along the way or through more advanced thorough books. I wouldn't pay money to learn PS at a school.

DSC

:goodpost::goodpost:
I played in Photoshop and learned a few tips from my brother when I started with it in 96. I eventually learned it better from Adobe's Classroom in a book series. I really think its a good start and you can pick up the heavier stuff later along the way or through more advanced thorough books. I wouldn't pay money to learn PS at a school.

:goodpost:

sfr table hockey

GOOGLE and YOUTUBE!...but i think illustrator is far more better and easier than photshop...just my opnion

I too would have to say that Illustrator would be also on the list to learn. Photoshop would be fine for the smaller page size layouts and smaller banners but you may find the file size gets too large to do larger layouts and billboards with effects.

If you design with Illustrator you don't have to worry as much about size and can resize things without changing the visual if you keep as vectors. When you use photos and photoshop you need to almost design with the end print size in mind in order to get the right resolution or DPI in your layout or it will look great on the monitor but once at print size will look pixelated. Also your computer may not be able to handle a large billboard size file done in photoshop.

Photoshop user tv is also a great source to learn photoshop. They also had a layers tv for illustrator but no longer do those but the older ones can help.