• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommended hole punch for 040 aluminum blanks

MHester

I'm looking for ideas on how to get holes punched into 040 aluminum sign blanks that I have. Holes need to go on the corners of course. I'd like something hand held or something to clamp onto a bench or table. Right now we've got our guys drilling holes, but was wondering if there was an inexpensive option that anyone can recommend that can do the same job. Drilling the holes takes time (and I have to wait for them to do it for me), plus then they have to file down the roughies afterwards. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How many are you doing at a time ?? If you're doing maybe 20 or 30 at a time, simply put them on a piece of wood before drilling and you won't encounter any burrs doing that many at once. If you have a drill press, just set up a jig and go to town. Otherwise, it sounds like your guys are doing one at a time.

bannertime

we have a similar hand punch, AWESOME TOOL!! and it has an adjustable diameter for the holes
135010050, 5Jr Hand Punch, Pexto Roper Whitney | Metal hole punch
depending on your hand strength you can punch thicker than 040, we routinely do .063

also work great for ACM, or anything else that fits in the punch

Second this, it's excellent. I've had mine for many years now. Much nicer case than mine came in. Large quantities gets put in a jig for a drill press.

henryz

Roper has a larger model with longer neck if you ever decide to make weep holes for channel letters. I also have a simpler model I ordered through amazon that's lighter than the Roper, but works great on .040 and .063 blanks.

MHester

How many are you doing at a time ?? If you're doing maybe 20 or 30 at a time, simply put them on a piece of wood before drilling and you won't encounter any burrs doing that many at once. If you have a drill press, just set up a jig and go to town. Otherwise, it sounds like your guys are doing one at a time.
Gino, I'm only doing 1 at a time, maybe 4 a week if even that.

MHester

we have a similar hand punch, AWESOME TOOL!! and it has an adjustable diameter for the holes
depending on your hand strength you can punch thicker than 040, we routinely do .063

Thanks 2B and bannertime for the review on the punch. I like that it has adjustable hole sizes too. Nice price too :)
Thanks henryz and cross signs for chiming in as well.

Yall are the best :)

ams

I went to a local Department of Defense machine shop and am having them machine a special die and adapter for my hiker grommet machine. This way I can do anything up to 0.80 aluminum with oblong holes for real estate signs, all in a grommet press. Worth the investment.

MHester

2B, I gotta tell ya. I bought the hand punch you recommended, just got it in today. This thing rocks! It's so easy to use and creates perfect holes in my 040 aluminum. And I love how it has extra diecuts for different hole sizes as well as an adjustable edge for depth. Thanks again for the recommendation!!

rickmdc

Harbor Freight has one that looks very much like the "Roper" I've got one. Has worked great for years.
Hey! I know this is an old comment, but how has this punch held up? Would you happen to have a link to it on the Harbor Freight site? Or maybe a photo? Thanks in advanced!

ChicagoGraphics

I used this one for years and it also came with an attachment for making slotted holes, I paid under $50 for it

Attachments

• IMG_20230831_201507.jpg
    IMG_20230831_201507.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 47