Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recycling Ink Cartridges

Discussion in 'Think Green!' started by chase_graphics_CT, Jan 31, 2011.

1. chase_graphics_CT

chase_graphics_CT New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Just wondering if anyone collects their ink cartridges to recycle. I've worked at places that participated in programs that donated ink cartridges and recycled them for charities, but I'm not sure what program it was and/or how to donate from Chase.

But I've been collecting a lot of Mutoh ValueJet and Epson StylusPro ink cartridges and even the empty toner containers from our digital presses just in case. I'd love to help out someone in need with them. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Tags:
  2. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Good question, you beat me to it, I was going to post this this week too. We have hundreds of cartridges we've been saving up. A while back I found someplace that would pay something like $.50 or $1 ea for them but I can't find them now. I like the idea of finding a way to recycle them for charity better though. I'm interested to see what's out there.

3. mobilwraps

mobilwraps Member

Nov 14, 2010
    I have seen something on linkedIn where they are out of the UK and pay you for empty's but still waiting on a reply.

If i hear anything ill keep you all posted

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Staples gives you $2 each for them. It used to be $3, and I think you can take 10 in a month. My wife and I both have a rewards card, so we can do 20 a month. It's nice to have $40 to blow a month at Staples on basic office supplies.

They take small printer cartridges, or the ones from my Mimaki w/o any problems.

5. chase_graphics_CT

chase_graphics_CT New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    I did not know that! I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'll keep googling around regarding donating them, however. It'd be nice if a local school did fund raising with them or something.

6. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    isnt office depot like 6-7 bucks each?

7. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

I'd heard about Staples taking them, but if they only take 10 a month we'll never be able to get rid of them at the rate we go through them. I still like the charity idea better anyway.

8. Air Art Girl

Air Art Girl Very Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    at Staples you can take 10 a day. Worth it to get some $$ back even if it's just store credits.

9. TheSnowman

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    TEN A DAY!? I need to double check that then. They told us no more than ten per month and we had to walk back out with a bunch of them in hand and sit on them for a month.

10. Air Art Girl

Air Art Girl Very Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    maybe it's just our store, who knows?
    But I have taken 10 in before 2 days in a row.

11. bayshorecreations

bayshorecreations Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
  12. TheSnowman

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
  13. Tony McD

Tony McD Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Camdenton, Missouri
    I'm looking for the same thing.
    I'm not a big shop, but have 25 or 30 eco-sol carts that need to go somewhere.

Also quite a few empty laser toners, and some image drums.
    Okidata used to send a return shipping label in the box for empty toners...and they stopped doing it.
    Maybe for safety reasons since the "toner bomb scare"

14. bigsign

bigsign Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Shelbyville
  15. Custom_Grafx

Custom_Grafx Very Active Member

Nov 23, 2008
    I didn't know we could get paid for it...

But we can send them in.

http://rolanddg.com.au/announcements/roland-dg-cartridge-recycling

I think our officeworks stores also have cartridge recycling bins, however I was under the impression that they were just for desktop printers and not solvent/eco sol cartridges? Anyone got any info on that?

16. Custom_Grafx

Custom_Grafx Very Active Member

Nov 23, 2008
  17. longlivemedia

longlivemedia Member

Feb 28, 2012
    The Target by me also accepts them for recycling, but I don’t think it goes towards any charity and all you get back for it is knowing you recycled something to help the environment. I’ll have to look into Staples sometime though; I could always bring ten in there then take the rest to Target. At least that way I’ll get $20 a month I didn’t have.