Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Alumalite

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by Stacey K, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Stacey K

Stacey K I like making signs

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    The sign I need to create has a red background and just the word "tattoo" in white on it 4'x8'. There is a two week wait for the Red Alumalite from my regular distributor and they don't want to wait that long. Would I be a fool to use 48" red vinyl and then apply the white over it? I don't do a lot of signs this size so I'm not sure what other substrates I could use that are comparable and red. They plan to put the sign on L-brackets on their roof. She said "they will just figure it out"...we just need the sign. I've done smaller signs on L-brackets successfully but not 4x8...will the Alumalite hold up on L-brackets without some type of reinforcement? It's great that they will "just figure it out" but I'm not so sure about their abilities. Suggestions welcome...

Tags:
  2. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    Omega-Bond and MaxMetal both come in red. We've done vinyl overlays, and have seen them last around 5 years.

3. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    yes, the easiest and quickest is to get a piece of red vinyl and cover the substrate if your supplier is that far out for a red panel.
    another option is painting but requires knowledge and abilities in the paint to ensure the paint is smooth and uniform.
    NOTE; either of these options will leave the backside of the panel "white" unless the red is applied to both sides.​

A 48x96 is going to need a full frame, and with this being a "roof" mount, would also suggest reinforcements

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chriswagner92

Chriswagner92 Member

Aug 26, 2013
    nc
    have you tried other suppliers? I just ordered a sheet of red max-metal through Grimco and had it in like a day.

EDIT: i just saw "LITE", I assumed ACM

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

The sign will not go on a roof with L brackets no matter what it's made of.

6. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    And for this type of sign, ACM would do just fine anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I have sheeted 4x8s, but at that point just buy a 4x8 print. Or try similar materials from other suppliers as suggested.
    I wouldn't even discuss the mounting method with them, I would not want to have any responsibility for it.
    When I do installs like that I prefer slotted angle (thru bolted if possible) for a base and then slotted angles behind the sign and angled off the back to that anchoring angle.
    I have done shorter ones with hinges on the bottom and angles off the back. But no matter how you do it- it is not an install to cheap out on.