Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red oracal 651 scrap, any way to recycle?

Discussion in 'Think Green!' started by hookandbook, Apr 6, 2011.

1. hookandbook

hookandbook Member

May 15, 2009
    I go through miles of this stuff weekly but in my area the only major recycling set up does paper, cans and plastic bottles and wants nothing to do with my red vinyl. I feel bad just tossing it, is there not a better way? I am from northern California near Sacramento and would even pay to dispose if I knew it was being recycled.

Tags:
  2. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Anything you do with it, from recycling, burning, explosion, or merely tossing it in the trash will have absolutely no effect on anything or anybody. That being the case, do the easiest thing.

3. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Send all your scrap and $20 to Bob. He'll make sure it's dealt with properly.

4. m_s_p

m_s_p Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Can you give it to a schools art department? I remember in intermediate school we had bins and bins of small scrap colored vinyl. We did a lot of projects with those scraps. :) I give cases of scrap paper to the elementary school in my area and they have brought a few good projects my way.

5. weaselboogie

weaselboogie Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Us
    Thats what I was thinking , but I'm wondering if this is already weeded vinyl.

6. hookandbook

hookandbook Member

May 15, 2009
    Explosion sounds like the most fun.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something that you guys with the bigger shops do everyday. When customers see the huge sticky balls of weeded material they are usually surprised at the amount of waste and it got me thinking this AM.

7. Border

Border Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    I get what Bob is saying...so you donate it to a school and the kids make neat little 'things' with it. Then bring it home. Mom and Dad hang onto the hideous 'thing' for a while out of shear guilt, then eventually throw it right into the same landfill you were trying to avoid in the first place.

8. westpointsigns

westpointsigns Member

Jun 30, 2009
    I usually give it to the local Sunday schools for the kids.
    I also give them left over magnet pieces.

9. boxerbay

boxerbay Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Darkside of the Moon
    BRILLIANT!!! If Bob won't accept it I will!