• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Redesigning my logo

Stevealex

I have been wanting to change my logo and today I actually had some time to sit down and work something out. I wanted it Readable and somewhat simple. I decided to use the pen tool and anchor points as a symbol except with my own touch on it. Although the anchor points probably won't be seen if the logo is brought down to a smaller size so I may leave those out. I also wanted something that Could be converted to grayscale or even a silhouette and still keep the character and readability and this seemed to have that. Can I get some Opinions on the direction ive chosen for this logo? Your feedback is appriciated. Thank You

Attachments

• New Logo.jpg
    New Logo.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 142
  • new logo 2.jpg
    new logo 2.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 129

SignManiac

I don't care for the split color of your name. Try the solid blue you have already and leave the pen nib gold. At the moment it's too busy, and you said you wanted to keep it simple and readable.

Stevealex

I Think the solid blue Makes it a little less busy and helps the eye flow through the design faster now, Thanks for the suggestion. Heres the revisions.

Attachments

• New Logo.jpg
    New Logo.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 113
  • new logo 2.jpg
    new logo 2.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 121

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm bothered by the bottom of the blue ring not being totally opaqued out by the pen. I also would like to see more space between the descender on the "p" and the top of the "R".

ForgeInc

lose the bezier lines/anchor points. Not only will they not be visible when your logo is small, but a huge proportion of your audience probably won't get it. It doesn't add anything to the logo. Lose the rings, lose the crown, lose the rules, then make "authority" a slightly bolder face and you may have something.

Stevealex

Im glad you said that Fred, I kept thinking that it might be but I wasnt sure if I was just being picky. Any suggestions on which of the two has the better layout? im trying to decide if I want the nib on top or the left side.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I prefer it on top and that has the benefit of avoiding a line through your name. And the reduced width will work better in more layouts. The wider one is fine for when you need a wider version.

Stevealex

Ok so at first I didnt think I should get rid of the rings and some of the other elements but after tampering a bit I kinda got to liking it more the simpler it got. I still like the crown and feel that it goes well with the name too. I made 2 more samples and these are very simple but im curious what the response will be as to this question- Crown or no crown?

Attachments

• New Logo.jpg
    New Logo.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 117
  • new logo 2.jpg
    new logo 2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 126

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I like the fact that there's an object extending up from the pen nib ... not so sure it should be a crown though and I don't see the connection to the rest.

Vinylman

I have been wanting to change my logo and today I actually had some time to sit down and work something out. I wanted it Readable and somewhat simple. I decided to use the pen tool and anchor points as a symbol except with my own touch on it. Although the anchor points probably won't be seen if the logo is brought down to a smaller size so I may leave those out. I also wanted something that Could be converted to grayscale or even a silhouette and still keep the character and readability and this seemed to have that. Can I get some Opinions on the direction ive chosen for this logo? Your feedback is appriciated. Thank You

Well to begin with, why is it that people start out with an illustration with ALL the custom colors and special effects, then go about removing elements until perhaps the final artwork is going to work??

You have removed at least 4 different elements, changed the color several times, and slowly have backed your way into the place where you should have started in the first place.

You mentioned that "I also wanted something that Could be converted to grayscale or even a silhouette and still keep the character and readability and this seemed to have that."

If you followed conventional wisdom and the recommendations made here numerous times in the past, you start from a rough pencil sketch, and work towards a black and white final comp. THEN you add colors and effects, ONLY IF the original artwork will stand on its' own merits.

The current rendition of your logo evolution is coming together, but still needs something. What that might be I don't have a clue, because you have not defined what you do exactly, nor who your audience is.
Only you can explain what you want to accomplish by making the proposed change to your current logo.

Jillbeans

It's getting better.
But I would lose the pen tool.
The general public hasn't a clue what it is.
And people who do know what a pen nib looks like might think you offer calligraphy services.
Authority is too big and it looks to be just floating there without a rule line above it.
It's also too long.
It may look nice in a script, like the Signs 101 font.
I would play with a badge icon
(like police or some other authority but just a plain badge shape or even slightly Arizona-shaped)
which could be located to one side of the name or stacked above it.
All in all, I am glad to see you moving away to something simpler.
Your old logo (I'm sort of kidding here) looks like it didn't know whether it wanted to be serious or play Pirate dress-up and was over-the-top busy to the point of being illegible.
Love.....Jill

ForgeInc

I agree with Jill and Fred, it's getting better. Also not sure the pen thing is working. perhaps you replace the pen idea with something that represents AZ? Also, i hate the "authority" font. why not use the same font as az graphic? it's strong, simple, and would hold together better. could be wrong but it looks stretched or something, (remember my previous advice of "never use a script font in all caps?" this is another good rule, never stretch fonts!) and the spacing was better as you previously had it. it doesnt need to be same width as the type above, check out my logo for example.

ForgeInc

one more thing, if you are stuck on using the crown i would simplify it and use that and lose the pen nib. i think you should come up with something other than the crown you have, but that idea might work also.