• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Referral fees for graphic design services

julz3

What is a general rule of thumb for determining referral fees to pay my clients whose referral generates a new client?

TIA! :smile:

TheSnowman

Yep. Just a thanks does it here. My customers do it because they know I do good work, and will be around in the future to take care of people.

julz3

wouldn't it be a commission on the job referred? Set a suitable percentage.

Well I guess that's part of my question, though I didn't articulate it very well did I? :doh:

I guess my question should be, rather, is it best to offer a flat fee to this customer of mine, or a % of the dollar value of the work?

This customer has the potential of sending dozens of new clients my way, I'm not ashamed to entice those referrals. :Big Laugh

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
There are so many variables in your question it's would be hard to answer.

How good is your existing client?
What do they expect, or would make them happy?
What are the potential clients likely to spend?

My goal would be to create a win win situation.

Jillbeans

I am suspect of any client blowing smoke up my butt about new clients they can give me.
The best they can get if they do send someone my way is a thank you, or maybe some home made cookies if I am feeling particularly grateful.
The BEST thing you can do is send people you know to them who need THEIR services (like plumbing, auto body, etc.)
Love....Jill

Billct2

The same I charge when I refer someone to one of my clients,vendors or tradesman, nothing.
I tried this route when I first started out, 10% to a boat salesman for every transom lettering job, then he started wanting 10% of any boat I did in the yard...just didn't work.
I do sell work to some shops that resell it, whatever they get over what they paid is fine by me.

Last edited: