Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Referral fees for graphic design services

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by julz3, Aug 28, 2009.

1. julz3

julz3 New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    What is a general rule of thumb for determining referral fees to pay my clients whose referral generates a new client?

TIA! :smile:

Tags:
  2. Artildawn

Artildawn Member

Jun 23, 2009
    wouldn't it be a commission on the job referred? Set a suitable percentage.

3. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    I usually give a warm heart felt thank you . . . !

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Yep. Just a thanks does it here. My customers do it because they know I do good work, and will be around in the future to take care of people.

5. julz3

julz3 New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Well I guess that's part of my question, though I didn't articulate it very well did I? :doh:

I guess my question should be, rather, is it best to offer a flat fee to this customer of mine, or a % of the dollar value of the work?

This customer has the potential of sending dozens of new clients my way, I'm not ashamed to entice those referrals. :Big Laugh

6. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber

There are so many variables in your question it's would be hard to answer.

How good is your existing client?
    What do they expect, or would make them happy?
    What are the potential clients likely to spend?

My goal would be to create a win win situation.

7. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I am suspect of any client blowing smoke up my butt about new clients they can give me.
    The best they can get if they do send someone my way is a thank you, or maybe some home made cookies if I am feeling particularly grateful.
    The BEST thing you can do is send people you know to them who need THEIR services (like plumbing, auto body, etc.)
    Love....Jill

8. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    The same I charge when I refer someone to one of my clients,vendors or tradesman, nothing.
    I tried this route when I first started out, 10% to a boat salesman for every transom lettering job, then he started wanting 10% of any boat I did in the yard...just didn't work.
    I do sell work to some shops that resell it, whatever they get over what they paid is fine by me.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  9. Bradster941

Bradster941 Very Active Member

Sep 5, 2005

Beer is Good...

Always !!!