Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refilling flushing liquid cartridges

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by OKC Fabric Printing, Dec 3, 2020.

1. OKC Fabric Printing

OKC Fabric Printing Member

Nov 12, 2020
    Oklahoma
    Is there a fast and efficient way to refill these cartridges? By syringe is too slow and time consuming yet also paying $20 seems a bit high for 220ml.
    Any suggestions?

20201203_105153.jpg

Tags:
  2. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

A LOT bigger syringe with a larger needle is about the only way. Could rig up something with a tube to a larger bore needle that goes to a large jug and let gravity fill them. Stick the empty cart on the needle and set it below the larger jug of solution.

3. balstestrat

balstestrat Active Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Between the bits
    Yeaaah get a bigger syringre and it's a work done quick.
    If you want it done real easy get a small liquid Pump.

4. OKC Fabric Printing

Nov 12, 2020
    Oklahoma
    Hmm, I'm actually thinking of bypassing the whole setup and running a hose straight to the needle with a gravity fed container on top of the printer...

5. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    used to fill these all the time with my homebrew cleaner. bigger syringe is all that really helps. you don't want to go too big of a needle, or chance ruining the seal.
    trying to setup some contraption for an IV drip direct to machine is silly, just stick with what works and pour yourself a glass of the brown stuff if the task seems tedious.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OKC Fabric Printing

Nov 12, 2020
    Oklahoma
    speaking of homebrew. any suggestions on where i can purchase any cleaning fluid cheaper than mimaki?

7. MikePro

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    your local chemist. anyone that supplies products for pool & commercial/industrial cleaners would have what you need in stock.
    you can also order them individually online from amazon/homedepot/etc. in smaller quantities.
    for my JV3 solvent inkjet, i was purchasing Acetone & Butyl Cellusolve by the gallons and mixing "hot"(surface) and "mild" (flushing) cleaning solutions for dimes on the dollar.
    granted, this was for solvent ink.... so your cleaning solution for an aqueous printer may be a bit different, but the theory is the same: its all just simple ingredients.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. OKC Fabric Printing

Nov 12, 2020
    Oklahoma
    I've tried to do some searching but havent gotten any results as to which chemicals and what ratios. would you happen to have any links to such info?

9. MikePro

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    i'd post links to previous threads, but from the picture it appears you're using Aqueous Inks and my homebrew research/recipe is for solvent. I was only here to chime-in that those cartridges are indeed refillable, abeit tedious.

if you do have a chemist in your area (google chemical supply oklahoma), however, I wouldn't put it past their ability to analyze a sample from your cleaning cartridge and suggest a formula for your own homebrew.
    edited to add: worst case, you can always get cheaper cleaning cartridges/solutions from 3rd party ink suppliers.... as they've basically done the same thing, and then slapped their label on it. Cleaning cartridges don't have chips, so its the easiest thing for a 3rd party like SAM, Triangle, Bordeaux, etc. to replicate and supply for your printer.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  10. OKC Fabric Printing

Nov 12, 2020
    Oklahoma
    Thanks!

11. netsol

netsol Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj

we did that 2 or 3 years ago

a gallon of each was about the price of a quart of cleaning fluid at sherwin williams