• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reflective on Reflective or No?

LoGl

Hi all....didn't really get an answer so thought I would re-phrase the question.

I am making a sign 24"h x 10'w. Background will be reflective (yellow). If I make the letters(black) and also reflective...will it read clearly? OR....do you think that if it were just black regular 2 mil vinyl black, it will still read correctly (at night of course).

I haven't worked with reflective too much in a long while and have a project to do. I thought SOMEONE must have had this experience.

Thanks for any input on Reflectivity!

:)

Attachments

• refl-sample.jpg
    refl-sample.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 95

LoGl

Hi all....didn't really get an answer so thought I would re-phrase the question.

I am making a sign 24"h x 10'w. Background will be reflective (yellow). If I make the letters(black) and also reflective...will it read clearly? OR....do you think that if it were just black regular 2 mil vinyl black, it will still read correctly (at night of course).

I haven't worked with reflective too much in a long while and have a project to do. I thought SOMEONE must have had this experience.

Thanks for any input on Reflectivity!

:)

oh...and I've attached sketch because it will be as simple as you see...two lines of type...bold. That's it.

John Butto

#1. take a piece of yellow reflective and put a black piece of vinyl on, #2. go outside tonight and shine a light on it #3. tell us about your findings tomorrow morning

LoGl

#1. take a piece of yellow reflective and put a black piece of vinyl on, #2. go outside tonight and shine a light on it #3. tell us about your findings tomorrow morning

sure...great in theory....but I don't keep it in stock as I don't use it too often. Typically only buy what I need - pricey to have laying around.

But sure...thanks.

John Butto

sure...great in theory....but I don't keep it in stock as I don't use it too often. Typically only buy what I need - pricey to have laying around.

But sure...thanks.
#4. take a piece of black vinyl and stick it on a yellow reflective traffic sign that happens to be a free test sample

Gino

Premium Subscriber

But sure...thanks.

Well, there goes my request for him to take pictures of his little experiment so he could post it and become a real hero in these parts.

I'd use a regular yellow background and black reflective for letters. Why do you want to make a background light up and overpower your important words ?? Using reflective for the letters makes them quickly become the focal point at night time and much easier to read at the same time.

John Butto

Well, there goes my request for him to take pictures of his little experiment so he could post it and become a real hero in these parts.

I'd use a regular yellow background and black reflective for letters. Why do you want to make a background light up and overpower your important words ?? Using reflective for the letters makes them quickly become the focal point at night time and much easier to read at the same time.
The guy is going to ask you how to take a picture at night next Gino and if anyone could tell him how to do it.

LoGl

The guy is going to ask you how to take a picture at night next Gino and if anyone could tell him how to do it.

Wow. this used to be a friendly place. You old miserable bastards ought to do something fun sometime. The rest of us will all just sit back and try to milk you for answers to oh-so-important big life issues like making signs while we pretend to do our jobs.

If this is the general tone on Signs 101 these days....why would anyone who happens to be inexperienced even want to post? And you know nothing about me or what I've done or how long I've been doing this. Cause this "guy" is a real idiot don't you know?

TammieH

Doesn't matter really, you can just do black vinyl on reflective yellow or Reflective black on reflective yellow, give the customer options with prices.
Use Oralite Engineer grade on flat signs

Jillbeans

I'd use regular black.
Black reflective isn't a nice pure black, kinda has a greyish look.
As long as the yellow part is reflective I think you're good to go.
Love....Jill

LoGl

...unless its a banner :ROFLMAO:

Funny bunch you all are. (FYI - no longer a banner)

Jill...yes...I'm thinking along same lines as you. Its one of those things that customer is sort
of trying to insist on....I believe that the black reg stuff will work fine...but if it doesn't read well
I'm going to hear about it....and he's sort of an acquaintance, so am just trying to do due diligence
by posting here. I would think more had used reflective vinyl and would have solid advice...seems like
most answers are just opinions such as my own.

Again...I thank you for your input, it is much appreciated.

Caitlin

I would print black to reflective yellow as well... if you are able. I have never had an issue printing to reflective but we run thermal transfer. Otherwise I would say regular black cut on reflective yellow.

LoGl

Not sure if you have the equipment to do so, but I would print the black on yellow reflective.

I do have the capability but I didn't think that colored reflective was printable. Also wanted a nice solid black punch to it, I feel like when I've printed on reflective before it isn't quite as solid as I'd like it. Perhaps it was the profile used, not sure.

vid

I vote for opaque black.

... and much easier to read at the same time.

:help Yellow and White? That isn't going to offer much contrast. Likewise, the funkiness of the reflective black as it transitions from black to white is going to mess with the eyes depending on the angle of light as one passes. I'd think this would make it more difficult to focus on the message.

:software
What is an appropriate use of reflective black on a sign? Honestly, I have no clue.

The only application I can think of is post marking in a traffic area. For example, marking the edge of a long drive with white posts and having a band of black reflective at headlight height. During the day, the black offers contrast to the post, while during the evening, it calls attention to the post as a warning to the drive's edge.​

d fleming

I've done more 4x4 highway signs than I care to remember. Uneven Pavement, Flagman ahead, etc. All done with background reflective and black cut vinyl letters and graphic. With the exception of the many I have screen printed when the run was large enough to call for it.

LoGl

:software
What is an appropriate use of reflective black on a sign? Honestly, I have no clue.

I have to agree. I don't see much use for it either and I feel like it would effectively "reflect" and essentially "white out" therefore losing the message.​