• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reflective Problems

cabo2010

I recently did reflective (oracal 5600) lettering on the rear side windows of a Tahoe. Lettering is peeling at tops of the letters. Replaced once already and peeling has reaccured. I do believe that the windows have defrost eliments in them, could that be my problem?

Jillbeans

I have two different ideas about this.
#1-could the windows have RainX on them?
and
#2-has this only occurred after all the snow we've been having?
Could the snow (if this is the case) being left on the vehicle somehow be causing this?
I've heard of this happening to others but have no real solution.
Love....Jill

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
A proper introduction is in order here cabo, you will get alot more helpful tips once you have introduced yourself to the experts in here. Become a premium subscriber and you will get even more helpful tips going forward.

cabo2010

I was thinking the RainX also but its only the top little bit of the letters that I think maybe right over the defrost thats not sticking. When we took the lettering off the first time after only about 2 weeks the glue was left on the window except for just the top .25" and it didn't matter what direction we peeled the letters off from. I have to have him bring it back soon for me to check out and figure a fix for it.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Bill Modzel

If you've cut this from the same roll in the same position on that roll, you might just peel some back and make sure the adhesive is uniformly spread. I've had rolls that there was no or little adhesive on 3/4" of the edge.

cabo2010

OK checked the adhesive and that seems even. No printed outline or anything just straight vinyl.

Just got the SUV back and I dont think it can be the defroster since that is only on the passenger side window. It is peeling more on that side but now they are saying the other suv is peeling a little on the body of that one

I am thinking that it is bad material at this point. I prep it all the same. Wipe it down with Rapid Prep good and then wipe it a few times with Isopropyl with clean towels each time.

Attachments

• 2011-02-10_09-37-59_334.jpg
    2011-02-10_09-37-59_334.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 103

SignosaurusRex

Uhhhhhhhmmmmm....That looks like chrome......not reflective nor 5600. Chrome 351 & 352 has a much lower adhesion...especially on glass....especially exterior automotive applications :rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Agreed. That doesn't look like reflective at all.

Is chrome even considered an outdoor product ?? What I mean... for long term use outdoors. I don't think I'd use it for this type of application.

natedawg9640

yeah. that's not reflective. i have noticed some newer vehicles that no matter what i try to clean the glass, there must be a factory coating on it that keeps it quite slippery. i would try a more aggressive vinyl at least. i've had good luck with adhesion of 3M 210 deluxe silver, albeit it's expensive and scratches rediculously easy.

cabo2010

It is not chrome its Oracal 5600 Reflective.

Peeled the lettering off both windows and one side left almost all the glue and the other side most of the letters came off without leaving hardly any glue behind. Took both sides off the same way just pick at the edge and peel away.

Attachments

• DSC06505.jpg
    DSC06505.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 2011-02-10_11-12-54_589.jpg
    2011-02-10_11-12-54_589.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 2011-01-10_17-12-18_402.jpg
    2011-01-10_17-12-18_402.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 2011-01-10_17-12-31_432.jpg
    2011-01-10_17-12-31_432.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 105

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Showing us a picture of glue residue is a mean trick.

You should be whipped and beaten until dead.... and then taken out and killed. :rolleyes:

cabo2010

None of the pictures were of just the film. Just the angle of the picture showing the edges lifted.

Also NOT a wet install.

Just call Oracal and the tech deptment is at lunch.

I am going nuts trying to figure out what to do now.

Do I install the same film but down on the body below the window or do I use some Avery A6 black reflective that I have from an old job and try that on the windows again or put it on the body.

SignosaurusRex

Okay....using Black reflective.......that explains the pics.

Do I install the same film but down on the body below the window or do I use some Avery A6 black reflective that I have from an old job and try that on the windows again or put it on the body.
No & no on both questions. Get yourself some GERBER or 3M or ARLON reflective and be done with it.