• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reflective sign options

bpatrick3

I need to make some real estate signs that are reflective, no big deal right?
Then I went to price the job out and realized there are so many ways to produce these signs
and unless I buy a bunch of different materials and test the effectiveness I am not sure
the best way to produce these.
the specs--24" x 24", two sided, white background, red and black copy colors.
I am thinking that there are at least 4 options
1-buy white reflective sign blank, apply black and red reflective vinyl.
2-buy white reflective sign blank, apply red transparent vinyl and opaque black vinyl.
3-buy regular white sign blank and apply apply black and red reflective vinyl.
4-buy regular white or mill finish sign blank, print red and black on white reflective
vinyl and apply to sign blank.
All options have pros and cons, any input would be helpful.
I have included the logo, I know that sometimes reflective can get to "HOT" and makes fine or light fonts
hard to read.

Attachments

• GCC LOGO.jpg
    GCC LOGO.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 77

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let your customer decide what he/she wants based on your recommendation and go from there.

The lettering is so weak, it's not gonna look good on that small of a sign with the background reflecting or the opposite with the letters reflecting.

Reflecting needs some hunka, hunka, hunka stuff to be reflecting. Otherwise, like you already stated, it won't work well.

If they rely on your expertise, I'd show them a test going both ways and make them go 200' away and in a glance, see what they like.

Jillbeans

I wouldn't offer the customer as many options as you've listed.
I'd offer them either red & black reflective on a plain white blank, or a reflective print applied to a blank.
(that could be the entire thing being reflective (overkill) or just the lettering)
I think a reflective real estate sign is not needed.
I'd also offer a plain version for comparison.
Love....Jill

Mosh

I find it REALLY HARD TO BELIEVE any realtor work pay for reflective signs, did you give them a price yet?

bpatrick3

I find it REALLY HARD TO BELIEVE any realtor work pay for reflective signs, did you give them a price yet?
Not sure why you think that, They are the ones that asked for it. They do not need reflective for ALL their signs but some reflective signs are needed
for areas that only lots are for sale and no houses are built yet, so the signs are impossible to see at night.

MikePro

full-field reflective does not read well for anything but traffic signs.
go with cheaper production option, to have white panel with reflective graphics applied ...printing on white reflective vinyl would be an option as well, assuming you desire full field reflective.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't let 'em get to ya. We do a lot of reflective signs for real estate people....... and from various companies.

Perhaps, a white reflective background with as much bold lettering as possible. That way they will be seen from a distance.

Mosh

Not sure why you think that, They are the ones that asked for it.

I have a lot of people ask for Champagne and only want to pay for a Busch Lite, realty people are the top of that list.

bpatrick3

I have a lot of people ask for Champagne and only want to pay for a Busch Lite, realty people are the top of that list.
Just to stay on topic, I am looking for advice for producing a product. I am well aware of how to produce this product, I was just hoping to bounce it off some other professionals
and get their thoughts, it was not meant to be a question about what "your" customers are willing to pay.

player

I would go with a solid reflective background, and regular black and red vinyl lettering and graphics.

The reflective letters on a regular white background probably will be unreadable. Red reflective on a white reflective background can also be hard to read.

The non reflective black and red on the white reflective background will be the easiest to read, although the red will show very dark or black from a distance.

Mosh

Pretty basic, load reflective into printer, print, laminate, apply, shear signs down to size, corner round and punch holes... oralite 5600, 290 lam, .040 aluminum.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are pre-made double sided reflective sign blanks available?

Sure, if ya order it that way.

We generally lay our own reflective on the substrate and print directly to it with a flatbed. However, we only print directly on reflective for police and fire department type decals and very few others exceptions. It's a very slow-speed print and takes time, which equates to money. Real Estate signs we usually use a white reflective background with die-cut vinyl for the lettering over top. We also don't use anything less then .050 or .063.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Even in a realty frame? I use .080 for the hanging ones, .040 if in a frame.

It's not as easy it it sounds to print .040 aluminum. If it bows or bends from lamps, we can do a lot more damage than worrying about $1.50 worth of material. Lamps can make thin material almost dance and that's not a good thing.

Again, most of the reflective real estate signs we do aren't little 18" x 24" or 24" x 24". They are so small it seems kind of a waste, but that's what the OP is doing so I answered the best I could. Usually it's 48" x 72" or bigger. Now, that's a sign which needs to be seen and with reflective, it's a no brainer for many applications.

nikdoobs

How many are they ordering? I would consider just doing the red in reflective. The black will look white when it reflects light and make it hard to read on the white background.

Pat Whatley

Solid reflective background with regular red and black graphics. I wouldn't print them, the red loses too much when printed on silver/white reflective. Use engineering grade vinyl and "burn" shouldn't be a problem.