• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reflective Vinyl

Lauren

Hi everyone, looking for some advice from those of you with more experience than myself. Here's the situation - We will be doing trailer graphics in reflective vinyl and I am about to place an order for the vinyl. We have to keep the price down, so I can't get premium vinyl. I have found two options that are pretty comparable in price: Oracal 5600 and 3M 5100. Both are 7 year durability, so the real decision maker for me will be how they perform over the rivets on the trailer. These graphics are going to be very large - the logo on the side is 4'x24'. Plus, we have to layer the vinyl to create an outline effect. I noticed that the Oracal is 5ml and the 3M is 7ml - any difference for installing there? Thanks in advance for your help! - Lauren

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I can tell ya for a fact, 5600 will not go over anything sticking out such as rivets, molding or any other minute protrusions. I can't speak for the 3M product, but I would imagine, if they are similar in price and workability, it too, probably won't work in your situation.

Ya might have to get the reflective which has comply in it to go over obstacles.

Mason

I can tell ya for a fact, 5600 will not go over anything sticking out such as rivets, molding or any other minute protrusions. I can't speak for the 3M product, but I would imagine, if they are similar in price and workability, it too, probably won't work in your situation.

Ya might have to get the reflective which has comply in it to go over obstacles.

What Gino said.

MikePro

We have to keep the price down, so I can't get premium vinyl. I have found two options that are pretty comparable in price: Oracal 5600 and 3M 5100. so the real decision maker for me will be how they perform over the rivets

they're 7yr+ vinyls when applied to clean&flat surfaces... this does not include rivots.
5600 > adhesion, 5100 > removeability, both on the same level but Oracal will always be less expensive.
both will tent over rivots, obnoxiously, just fine. ...just as long as your outline doesn't cut-through/reach just past a rivot.

...on that note, also make sure to trim the overlapping body panel lines of the truck.

I'd still prefer 680, but if they're your only two options then just realize that tents+time+elements=cracked reflective vinyl. I can't tell ya how long to expect it to last, as I've never used those materials on rivot'd panels before.

Mosh

We have to keep the price down, so I can't get premium vinyl.

Reflective is a premium vinyl, even the cheap stuff. Sounds like the customer was lead to believe they get Champagne for the price of Busch Light!!!

Patentagosse

Few big rivets or a sh**load of 'em every 2" ? If it's only a reasonnable quantity of 'em, cut 'em one-by-on to avoid release (tenting). I use 5600 for about a decade with great results. It's my all-around, everyday reflective. I can use it for cut-letters as well as printing media. 'Never had issue with it except printing one on a certain batch (defective lot). The 5600 is smoother than any other 3M equivalent reflective. They now have it with RapidAir® adhesive.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
4x24ft layered reflective over a mega amount of rivets will kill you on labor.

Do not use cheap reflective! It will fail.

Print the logo on a high quality reflective, laminate it and apply once.
If you don't have the equipment to print it outsource it.

ProWraps

sounds like you let the customer put you in a bad situation.

printed 680cr would be the proper material of choice. no need to layer it, just print it, and install.

you got yourself a tough on there now.

Patentagosse

+1
I don't layer vinyls or reflective anymore since I have a printer. You save on time, material, waste and jobs move out faster. I'm pretty sure you can find a place to outsource it in a decent price range.

Turtle

Echoing Pro Wraps here. I use 680cr for all of my reflective jobs it has air egress so it will go down much smoother. It is also easier to put down for an overlay or for outlining.

The attached photo has 680cr over all of the neon (on the truck and snail).

Mark

Attachments

• August.jpg
    August.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 273

Lauren

Printing the graphics - fantastic idea! But...the customer won't go for printed graphics :/ I'll be going with 3M 5100. Crossing my fingers on the install. Thanks for the input everyone!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Right here within our borders is this little tidbit of advertising. Ya might wanna reconsider. This is more along the lines of what you need.

oraflo.jpg

Please keep us informed of your progress........

Lauren

For those of you following this thread, here's the update. We ended up with the 3M 5100 and it was great. Layering vinyl is never ideal, but I didn't have any problems with finishing the rivets on either the first or second layer...they even looked nice! Before I ordered it, I did have my rep call 3M to make sure that 5100 could be used on rivets. I have worked with Oralite 5300 and 5700 and those are a disaster on rivets (not intended for that application so that would be why), but even compared to the Oralite 5600 which is intended to conform over rivets, I preferred the 3M 5100. I also got the 3M at a much better price than I could get Oralite. Thanks again everyone for the input and I hope this helps someone out in the future :)

Patentagosse

'Never heard of 5100 serie before so I looked at all my color charts / litterature coming from 3M and still no sign of it. 'Must be a US product not available over here in Canada. Our distributors only stock 3200 and 680 series for the most.

Attachments

• sais pas.gif
    sais pas.gif
    275 bytes · Views: 307

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

+1 x infinity