• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Refunding a deposit......from 5 years ago????

Locals Find!

Deposit money should never go into your operating account until you have completed the job or laid claim to the deposit.

I always put deposits in a separate account just for the reasons your having trouble now.

If your going to claim the deposit as yours. You really should cover your *** and send a certified letter to your client explaining to them why you're laying claim to all or some of the deposit with 30 days to respond. If they don't respond you can then keep the money and transfer it to your operating account. If they do you negotiate either finishing the job or returning any money that is rightfully theirs.

If you don't lay claim to it your obligated to keep that money available until you claim it or refund it. Doesn't matter if it's a week, month or a decade.
You can't just arbitrarily claim the money is yours to keep.