• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Regarding Coreldraw X5

GVP

Greetings! I've noticed when using X5, sometimes the computer will be non-responsive (says "not responding") at top of the screen for a few seconds, before carrying on. It seems to happen on any task, for example going to click on the create rectangle button it will fail to respond momentarily (1 or 2 seconds) and then carry on.
Any suggestions as to where to look to find the cause - I realize it may be a windows issue rather than corel, but it only seems to be happening within corel. Any advice appreciated.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Greetings! I've noticed when using X5, sometimes the computer will be non-responsive (says "not responding") at top of the screen for a few seconds, before carrying on. It seems to happen on any task, for example going to click on the create rectangle button it will fail to respond momentarily (1 or 2 seconds) and then carry on.
Any suggestions as to where to look to find the cause - I realize it may be a windows issue rather than corel, but it only seems to be happening within corel. Any advice appreciated.

What are your computer specs? It could be lack of resources. It could also be signs of a failing hard drive.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Corel can get a little "sluggish" if a large amount is in the clipboard i.e. you recently copied a large shape or group. You could try copying something simple then see if it helps.I use a "ClearClipboard" macro to do this with a shortcut on my workspace. Also a good idea to dump temp files often. I have a "DumpTempFiles" macro set to automatically run any time a doc is closed or if I'm currently working on a doc and things start acting up but I don't want to close it, I can run a batch file from my desktop to dump temp files and it sometimes will clear up whatever was going on at the time. My system stays pretty fast.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Another point is the auto save function under options. I turned mine off. If I'm working on a large file and after 20min it'll do an auto save and can take like 30 seconds or so to finish before I can move on. I think it's just saving the backup not your actual file, you'll have to do that on your own.
upload_2018-11-16_11-1-35.png

GVP

Thanks for the responses. The computer has a i5 processor and 16gb of ram, Win7 Professional. I'll check the autosave setting. Interesting comment about the hard drive - it's just odd that it only seems to be in Coreldraw?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thanks for the responses. The computer has a i5 processor and 16gb of ram. I'll check the autosave setting. Interesting comment about the hard drive - it's just odd that it only seems to be in Coreldraw?

You should be good with that setup. Anytime your computer seems to freeze up for a second whenever you do anything, it can be a sign of a bad hard drive. Not always but it's a good thing to keep in mind for the future. Since yours is only in Corel it's probably good.

Bert Wondervan

One or more .dll files of your COrelDraw X5 have confelict with your Windows.

TEST YOUR CorelDraw X5:
1- Remove CorelDraw X5 from your PC.
2- Download the Trial version of CorelDraw from www.corel.com and install it on your PC.
Start the program and see the result.

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
I disagree. Before blaming your hard drive, you must understand some fundamental computer operations knowledge. You have 16 Gigabytes of RAM? Perhaps you meand 16 MB of RAM. This means your computer will use a potion of that Random Access Memory to do Corel operations. When the computer runs out of RAM resources, it goes and uses hard drive space for memory storage and it is slower than RAM. You can tell it is running by looking at your hard drive light as it flickers.

Big Rice Field

One or more .dll files of your COrelDraw X5 have confelict with your Windows.

TEST YOUR CorelDraw X5:
1- Remove CorelDraw X5 from your PC.
2- Download the Trial version of CorelDraw from www.corel.com and install it on your PC.
Start the program and see the result.
That is the overly drastic and stone age way to fix the problem. Better to go and erase all of the temp files, clear the clipboard and start Corel with the F8 Key pressed. This starts Corel with Factory Default settings.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I disagree. Before blaming your hard drive, you must understand some fundamental computer operations knowledge. You have 16 Gigabytes of RAM? Perhaps you meand 16 MB of RAM. This means your computer will use a potion of that Random Access Memory to do Corel operations. When the computer runs out of RAM resources, it goes and uses hard drive space for memory storage and it is slower than RAM. You can tell it is running by looking at your hard drive light as it flickers.
If you have 16mb of ram you are working on a stone age computer. None of the current computers on the market have less than 4gb of ram unless they are arm or Chromebooks.

16gb of RAM is common these days and should be sufficient for Draw but Corel has lots of software issues, memory leaks, and data mishandling's. These things are common with coreldraw, sometimes a save and restart is all that's needed.

WildWestDesigns

Y'all do realize that with X5, it doesn't matter if the OP has 16 GB of ram. That program is only ever going to see 4 GB of RAM as it's a 32 bit program.

It is quite possible that resources are being tapped out (as far as DRAW knows), especially if multi-tasking quite heavily.

These things are common with coreldraw, sometimes a save and restart is all that's needed.

To add to this, I would make sure that there are no orphan or zombie processes still being logged when closed out (should be able to see in Task Manager). That can affect how well this works as well.

I had a digitizing program that after so many starts without rebooting the computer would leave an orphan process that would prevent the program from opening again (extreme case in this instance of what that program would do, depends on the programming).

Last edited:

Big Rice Field

Another thing I forgot to mention is to delete temporary files that may have been left behind when Corel Crashes.

decalman

I use Corel x5 too.
I got a Lenovo i7 Windows 7 pro.
I got too many files in it, but it runs excellent. I even got video editing software , with many vids, and it still zips.

Only payed 300 for the laptop. I want another one . The thing fell off the table once. 4 feet, hitting the hard floor. My heart fell to my knees. Works perfect.
I even sat on it, by accident . Not a glitch.

jriley

Back in the day when I used to toil on computers, if I had a problem like yours, the thing I used to do before troubleshooting hardware or deleting files was to take a look at MSCONFIG. I looked at all the processes running and startup programs. I turned off anything I knew weren't useful or essential, and researched any processes/programs I was unfamiliar with to make sure I wanted them on. Then I would run software like ccleaner (deletes temp files an whatnot) and malwarebytes (though I wouldn't use their AV software--just wanted to check for/remove potential bugs). If that didn't help, I would probably uninstall/reinstall the program, deleting any leftover files in the install directory (assuming I'd backed up my settings). If that didn't work, I would scan for bad sectors on the HDD (assuming I didn't have a SSD) and test the memory. If there weren't any hardware problems, I would wipe the HDD and reinstall the OS. Having gone through all those steps, I would always solve the problem.

That's how I used to roll. Not sure how relevent this is in the Windows 10 age :)