• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Release of Customer Artwork - Your Policy

Release of Customer Artwork

• Burn it to a disc, charge a small administration fee (release ownership)

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Offer to give him a disc containing limited files and restricted use (retain ownership)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Offer to burn it to a disc in various formats/sizes just as a LOGO, charge accordingly ($100+)

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • Give him a 60X60 low-res gif and snicker as he walks out the door

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Give it to him, he paid for your time in designing it, it really already belongs to him

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters

Aardy54@54-Design

That Pizzeria layout is a logo....

They can afford a logo, bare minimum for opening a Pizzeria is around 100k for a small mom and pop operation. if you would have charged 1000 bucks for a logo, business card layout, sign layout(s), t-shirt, pizza box layouts, that is only 1% of the minimum investment they would have put into it that would last for years and years.

Now if that logo-ized layout was going to sell your services for a sign, banners, cards, menu, shirts, vehicle wrap, website in the 10k range, I see no reason why you would not sign it over to them for their flyers, yellow page and news paper ads and other uses AFTER you have performed the work or you can sell them the service of keeping their "brand" consistent by laying out all their ad work.

Rick, this goes right along with that other thread about customer files and ownership that you helped me kinda better understand where I need to stand on who owns what when - now this thread brought up something good that I guess I never considered *until now* - customer awareness of policies concerning ownership of artwork (layouts, designs, logo creations, etc) where, when, how do you make customers aware of policies concerning such s this?

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
For those of you who checked
"Give it to him, he paid for your time in designing it, it really already belongs to him"
They paid you do make them some signs. Nowhere in the price was there anything about..having you create files to burn to disc and hand to your competitors.