• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Remembering past days fondly.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Got to love days where random customers make you remember past days working very fondly.

Todays memorable memory was one of my first sign shop jobs. On occasion I was hired out to other shops to do work they couldn't (insurance, tools, whatever the reason) or I would make their blanks and supplies to finish a job. One time I was asked to go to a shop down the road who did a lot of realty signage, who had about $1200 worth of reflective material that was cut ... just not deep enough ... so I spent a week hand scoring the existing cuts deep enough to be weeded ... great job ... the shop was run by 2 ladies, the owner was what could be considered the 'hot mom' type of lady and her helper was this round hispanic lady that loved to give squishy hugs. ... God, that girl could make mean carnitas ... every day the helper would bring me enough food for lunch that I swear I never wanted to eat again ... and would insist on me eating it. awesome. and the owner, always loved to chat while I worked ... really for what it was ... makes those nasty days seem a lot more dim in your memory.

To those days you will love to remember.
:bushmill:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
who had about $1200 worth of reflective material that was cut ... just not deep enough ...

Had that happen once...I always do a test cut and weed whenever I change materials or blades. Well worth the extra time and effort compared to the alternative.

Glad to hear your experience turned out rather differently.

JB

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
So, with my day starting and continuing to be a pain in the butt ... I've been trying to think of fun times I've had in the past while working. A couple moments are shining today.

I remember there was a dude who came in the shop with a dark purple Miata ... dude was a total laugh riot. Anyways, he wanted a big bright pink "PRINCESS" on the back end of his Miatta, asked him if it was for a sig. other ... nope, his car. Never pushed the issue, but I think back and wonder why he got that on his vehicle.

Another was an accountant who came got a hold of me to do a racing stripe on his mustang ... wanted something really custom ... after discussing it, I designed for him a racing stripe that was composed of a jumble of numbers ... not light enough to fully read any one number in particular, but with the little negative spaces could see it was composed of numbers to make a half tone-ish middle part, double striped ... classy stuff. took me a day to weed it all. what a fun pain the the rear end that was.

I guess one thing that has been in the back of my head sort of as a 'man, I wish I could do that again' sort of thing ... was a panel van that the dude wanted a cartoon version of himself as a handyman and wanted it to look like it was a big 50's style illustrated ad on the side of his van. Used all cut vinyl and multi-media techniques on the vinyl. Miss that stuff, now I would probably have to wrap it ... would lose some of it's ... panache ... but man, I liked designing that thing.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
Your weeding story reminded me of craziest weeding job I've ever had. Doing about 50 of these roadrunners at 5" tall just about drove me insane.

My weirdest car lettering is probably this guy that wanted "Don't watch me watch TV" on the back of his Crown Vic. I have no idea what that means.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-09-14 at 2.25.31 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-09-14 at 2.25.31 PM.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 57