• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Remote Access

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
For those that are using VPN, are you accessing files directly from the server? I have a VPN setup, with crazy fast internet at the office and home, but accessing files directly is quite slow. I use illustrator primarily. Anything with linked images takes forever to open and save, at least most of the time. Often I copy files to my desktop, then save back on the server. It is OK, but definitely more cumbersome than being at the shop.

Jester

Slow is Fast
I have a VPN setup, with crazy fast internet at the office and home, but accessing files directly is quite slow.

Most consumer-grade fast internet service is asymmetric. That is, download is fast but upload is much, much slower. (Fast business-class symmetric service is not very common in the small business world as it is quite expensive.) This is probably why you are seeing slow speeds to fetch from your office, and then slow speeds to save from home.

Last edited:

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Most consumer-grade fast internet service is asymmetric. That is, download is fast but upload is much, much slower. (Fast business-class symmetric service is not very common in the small business world as it is quite expensive.) This is probably why you are seeing slow speeds to fetch from your office, and then slow speeds to save from home.
Home is 500MB symmetrical. Work has 150 DL, 30 UL. I'm just curious what others actual experience with VPN is.

zzzhhheee

Windows Remote Desktop is an easy solution. Can be a little tricky to get it working. But once its up. Your DONE!

Jean Shimp

I use Splashtop for remote access to two of my office computers. I used to use LogMeIn but Splashtop is cheaper and works perfectly.