Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Removable Decal for Aluminum Trucks

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by SoCalN8V, Mar 15, 2019.

1. SoCalN8V

SoCalN8V Active Member

A customer of ours has a fleet of trucks and wants something like a magnet that can be removed every day. A regular magnet won’t work because the trucks have aluminum bodies. The trucks will driven up to 8 hours a day. Is there anything we can use?

Tags:
  2. De.signs Nanaimo

De.signs Nanaimo Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Nanaimo
    What about a banner frame, it would be pain to remove every day though.

3. unclebun

unclebun Active Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Osage Beach, MO
    In a word, no. There will later be plenty who will offer dot technology or other methods of temporary attachment, but none of them fulfill the same task a magnetic sheet does on a steel bodied car. These technologies will fulfill the task of putting the homecoming queen's name on a fiberglass or aluminum bodied car for a parade, but not for daily application and removal with the kind of durability expected of magnetic sheeting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Adirondack

Adirondack New Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Austin, TX
  5. flyplainsdrifta

flyplainsdrifta Member

Oct 13, 2017
    ct
    what about fabritac, or the similar alternatives? removable, reusable (even after getting crumpled. can be saved if the contact paper is saved. would take some testing to see how it reacts with the surface but ive done them on golf carts and my fridge and my guitar without killing the finish. could be worth a try.

6. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

We use Glass-A-Peel (formerly Glass-Ad-Here) from Fellers and we and our customers really like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Member

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    For ease of use you’re looking at some sort of banner/sign frame if they need to be super durable (8 hours/day). Naturally this will also depend on size.

Repositionable vinyl would likely be a PITA for the customer/whoever needs to remove/store/reapply it. (Though that’s also fairly dependant on the size).

8. De.signs Nanaimo

De.signs Nanaimo Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Nanaimo
  9. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
  10. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    How big?

12. SoCalN8V

SoCalN8V Active Member

12" diameter

13. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Call me, I am local and I have a solution you can rock no problem. 714-878-7989 I am the resident dork when it comes to media.

14. SoCalN8V

SoCalN8V Active Member

Does it stay put on the vehicles?

15. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

Yes. As long as they are clean and have good paint. It takes some effort to pull them back off the vehicle so they have far more sticking power than magnets but the material doesn't stretch so you can wash them with soap and water and use again and again. The only thing you want to avoid is kinking them so they no longer lay flat, but they are cheaper to produce than magnets so customers can afford to replace them once in a while. It's the best solution I've found.