• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removable wall decals

vikcho

Hi all,
I have a client who is currently purchasing removable and reusable wall decals made in France (Very highly priced). I have tried many materials in vinyls but no success. Every time I remove the vinyl the paint of wall comes along. Can anyone recommend me some vinyl for this purpose.
Regards
Vikram

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
No way to gurarantee with absolute certainty paint will not come off. If you arte already using a very low tack removeable vinyl and paint is coming off then the paint is not properly applied - someone probably just slopped the paint on without priming or at least dusting the walls off first.

Oracal does make a wall vinyl that is specifically supposed to be removable AND reuseable though. We recently got a sample roll of it in for a client to run some tests with. Seems to print nice and it's one of the only adhesive vinyl wall graphic films I've found that is specifically advertised as "movable, and allows for removal and reapplication elsewhere".

idsignsil

+1 for Oracal 3268. It is the same as the fat head stuff you see on tv. We have tried it out on a few different walls in our shop. It always comes right off and does not peel any paint. It is a heavy material though. When I talked to our sales rep he said that about 12 sq ft of it on the wall is as big as you want to go. Any larger and the weight of itself might pull it off of the wall. We have done life size cut outs of the boss's kids playing sports and they say they are holding just fine.

JOHEE

I have a few good opinions in this forum that may help everyone. First, I have tried vinyl on walls from permanent acrylic adhesives to removable/repositionable ones including Oracal 3268. Some painted surfaces will hold the repositionable vinyls and some WILL NOT. It is a chance situation when using "vinyl" on an office or home painted wall. The 3268 was a nightmare for my customers but works fine on my walls.
I have been experimenting with Seramark which is a polyester woven fiber fabric similar to Phototex and Graphtex. Seramark is about 4mil in thickness and appears to stick and remove wonderfully to all walls tested on. It does have a matte finish not gloss. Any matte finish reduces the "pop" that people love but blends nicely with matte finish painted wall surfaces.
The key here (in my opinion) is to simply stay away from ANY vinyl substrate for wall applications. Leave the vinyl to windows and automobiles. The new polyester fiber woven wall medias do not curl even when printed to the edge. They are just a different animal than vinyls which by their nature want to lift off the wall.
I feel the industry will continue to evolve in this direction and we will see more woven medias being manufactured for wall applications.

strypguy

Avery 2611 is the best I've used so far. The oracal will work but I've had it release on some walls. I really think alot of it depends on the type of paint people use. Avery has stayed on every wall so far.

John

ForgeInc

Another vote for phototex, though it's not totally blockout. If the wall is dark, it might not cover completely.

particleman

phototex is the best stuff we've found, I will tell you we went through a lot of different material and headache to be able to say that.

Si Allen

Also you must remember that there are paints that NOTHING will stay stuck to!

Teflon, silicone or other such products are added to help them to stay clean.

Case

I disagree... I believe Phototex is the 2nd best...

Graphitex by General Formulations is the best I have seen for quality, adhesion(re-applying,etc.) and for cutting....

Phototex is nice, but Graphitex is easier to cut from what I have tested....

Profiles for Graphitex are on General Formulations website....

Specs for Graphitex:
Concept 234
Construction: 7.0 mil premium matte white coated polyester fabric with an acrylic removable repositionable pressure sensitive adhesive backed by a 90# stay flat liner.
Liner: 90#

Works great with latex and solvent and does not curl just like Phototex............. I have see it used on both and print it on my Mimaki.........

A lot of people don't know about the product and it is great...

Phototex is a nice product as well... I have found Graphitex cuts easier... Then again, it could have just been the day I was last cutting or the blade...

Case

thewvsignguy

To be honest we have never used the phototex but hear it's great product. When looking at the cost we went tried Oracal 3268 and the 3628 with poor results. We use Avery 2611 for 99% of the wall decals we produce. We have tried a bit of the Matack? wall noodle, depending on the paint the wall noodle worked good in some spots and edge curled in others. Avery has had 0 edge curl failure on the same walls where we tried the Oracal and the Matack? I know the phototex works well but as I remember the cost was a little more the the Avery. We prefer the Avery for our wall decals, just my .02

JYardDesigns

MACtac's WallNOODLE is specifically designed for poster size wall decals. Won't pull paint, can be repositioned, and easy to install (6mils).
ROODLE is a new removable version which ahas a slightly stronger adhesive.

Gary Cousins

Hi All

We have recently installed over 1800 lineal metres of Oracal 3628 which we overlaminated with a sandtex laminate we printed all of this on a HP Latex. The prints were installed all around Australia in most states and New Zealand. I personally installed the vest majority of this. I found that firstly the wall had to be painted and/or prepared well. We recomended that all wallls be painted with 2 coats of gloss or semi gloss Dulux Aqua Enamel gloss acrylic. Any patches that were bogged and filled and not sanded, sealed , primed and top coated properly pulled paint off in those areas.In very few instances did this occur but when it did in all cases when the vinyl is removed or pulled back it will bring the paint with it. Lesson learnt (dont trust painters).

The dimentional stability to match up print after print was very good with some walls being 10 or 12 mtrs long by 2.9mtrs high.We also learnt as we went along to use a bigger overlap of at least 40mm as smaller overlaps did definately peel back and /or curl.Remeber the 3628 vinyl is sticking to sandtex on overlaps not to itself.

Now some months down the track we have had to go back and restick some areas especially high up on walls where air conditioning blows straight at the walls. Also on reverse corners it lifts off the wall so we have had to use double sided tape to hold the prints back down not ideal !!!!. Defeats the purpose of removability.

We have since learnt that the shrinkage rate
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] of the 3628 is 0.4% for the wallart and Sandtex is 1.5 %. Lesson learnt don't always trust your REP.
This has caused us to have to re-do some reverse corners and we have had to put extremely thin Kikisui double sided tape in the corners that hhad shrunk back and replace the prints in these areas. Thankfully it removed very well and the replacement pieces matched up perfectly.

My final point is that the 3628 product is very good however the fact that they do not supply a matching textured laminate is very disappointing. In public areas the vinyl has to be overlaminated or it will be trashed in no time.

We are just about to print another 1000 lineal metres @ 1370mm wide and am looking around at other alternatives.

Trust this is informative.:Australia
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Attachments

• Defects.doc
    331.5 KB · Views: 137