Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removable window decal?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by TXGraphix24, Mar 14, 2011.

1. TXGraphix24

TXGraphix24 Member

Aug 10, 2010
    I have a customer who wants a large decal for the back of her jeep, but wants to remove it during the weekends. I would use a magnet, but obviously its going on a window so that wouldnt work.

Im not familiar with static cling vinyl. Would this work? How long would this hold up if she took it off every weekend?

I would do a clear piece of static cling vinyl, and just apply vinyl over it.

anyone have any good brands of static cling vinyl?

Thanks for the help guys, ive learned so much on this forum.

Tags:
  2. heyskull

heyskull Very Active Member

Sep 2, 2007
    UK
    I have varying success with static cling vinyl.
    The problems on a window is that most are not perfectley clear so you can't see clearly out the window.
    Secondly storing it and keeping the graphic clean. I have found that once you have applied and re-fitted it a few times it is useless.
    Try to talk them out of this as I wouldn't advise.

SC

3. Custom_Grafx

Custom_Grafx Very Active Member

Nov 23, 2008
    For how many weekends? Every single weekend? Will the car be moving or parked when it has the sign on?

4. Wheeler

Wheeler Member

Feb 25, 2010
  5. TXGraphix24

TXGraphix24 Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Ill probably try to talk her out of it, or just get her to get a magnet, and put it on the metal, and not the window.

She wants to take it off every weekend.

6. round man

round man Active Member

Oct 16, 2005
    sell her 52 of them,..a years supply,...or 26,a 6 month supply and or 13 for a four month supply

7. stickerman68

stickerman68 New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    have them buy another back window...it just zips in(soft top)...one with graphics..one plain...probably under hundred $

8. buttons

buttons Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Burlington
    Grand Cherokee windows too? :popcorn:

9. stickerman68

stickerman68 New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    just said "jeep"..call me old school but thats a cj or wrangler type vehicle to me....:Big Laugh

10. dman0427

dman0427 Member

Dec 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I'd suggest that sign panel thing that hooks into the trailer hitch... hopefully it has a hitch.
    I doubt the success of any "reusable" vinyl.

11. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    You can take static cling on and off for a pretty good amount of time as long as you reapply it each time using sprayed on water to float it and squeegee out the excess with a window cleaning squeegee. The main problem with static cling is that it's a short life material, 6 months to a year, and if the customer doesn't take it off periodically it will literally fuse itself to the glass.

If you customer stores them inside, away from sun and heat, when not in use they should last for several months of use. If that's worth it to them, then make the sale.

12. stickerman68

stickerman68 New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    never can tell buttons.....reg cherokee??...hehe

Attached Files:

13. buttons

buttons Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Burlington
    I know what you meant. I'm usually the same way. Never know online though.

Slightly modified. :wink: