• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

removal of graphics on box truck

TopFliteGraphics

I went to look at a job yesterday from a regular customer and he asked me to price removing the graphics on a box truck. The graphics had started to peel up and underneath there is a black residue. I've never seen this before and have no idea how much of a pain in the hind quarters this will be to get off the truck. Any of you guys had experience removing stuff like this?

I plan on quoting him an hourly rate for removal but I am sure he'll want some sort of estimated time from me.

Attachments

• 2013-03-11 13.38.17.jpg
    2013-03-11 13.38.17.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 150

Border

Give them an hourly rate and tell them it is a 2 hour minimum start. And then after you work on it for 2 hours you will know better how it is coming off and long it will take you to finish. to let yo to let you proceed with the full remov with the full removal.j

Craig Sjoquist

Agrees with Border...

The easiest way to remove is a ..Steam pressure washer ..2nd easiest is a Steam Wallpaper remover ...Wagner sells one $50 sure there is others.

Then Rapid-Tac glue removal......

Caution & WARN customer that some areas may peel background paint cause of poor paint prep or base paint... but it will happen any way ya take it off.

Don't people go to school anymore to learn trades...? grrrr

TopFliteGraphics

My main reason for posting this question is that black stuff behind the graphics. I've never seen that before and was worried about that. I've removed a bunch of graphics before and this is the first time i have seen it. Did the previous graphics guy use some really cheap stuff?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You mentioned he's a regular customer. Was this done prior to his being a regular customer ?? If so, how long had he been a regular customer or how long is that stuff on there ??

If you didn't do it, perhaps the other installer put black vinyl down first for some unknown reason for a starter step of some sort.

I think Border has the best idea of the 2 + 2 step and go from there.

TopFliteGraphics

He's been my customer for about a year and a half. He was using someone else and they have a ton of trucks that were done before I came around. A lot of them have similar material failures on them. I have no idea how long these graphics have been on this particular truck, neither does the Parts Manager with whom I am dealing.

Border

The black stuff is most likely just soot & dirt that is sticking to/embedded in the adhesive residue. Heat it up good and pull that wrap off. It will probably come off easier than you think. I like to use the mega torch (weed burner) for jobs like this to quickly heat a large area before pulling it off.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
He's been my customer for about a year and a half. He was using someone else and they have a ton of trucks that were done before I came around. A lot of them have similar material failures on them. I have no idea how long these graphics have been on this particular truck, neither does the Parts Manager with whom I am dealing.

Okay, so if you're in good with these guys [your new customer], there's no harm in asking the other outfit what in the world they used. If they have sour grapes about it, tell them you only wanted to do right by these guys, but if they don't want to cooperate, you'll surely let YOURNEW client know, they were useless..... as is their workmanship.

TopFliteGraphics

Okay, so if you're in good with these guys [your new customer], there's no harm in asking the other outfit what in the world they used. If they have sour grapes about it, tell them you only wanted to do right by these guys, but if they don't want to cooperate, you'll surely let YOURNEW client know, they were useless..... as is their workmanship.
Excellent idea - Thanks!

Border

Or just remove the old crap and get on with it! Let a sleeping dog (the old graphics company) lay.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Hourly rate only for a job like that.
If you were there to look at the truck why didn't you try to remove a little to feel out the removal?

TopFliteGraphics

Update - the customer decided to remove them himself when I would not budge on my need to charge hourly for removal. The owner of the dealership kept trying to get me to do it for just the price of the new graphics. I stuck to my guns (thanks to you guys) and will be installing the new graphics later this week. I plan on swinging by there later today to talk with my contact to find out how long their guy took to get the old graphics off.

Billct2

You mean to find out if they actually did a complete job, 9 times out of 10 when someone says they removed the old graphics they mean they peeled the vinyl and left a sticky residue mess, which is even harder to get off than doing it right from the start.

TopFliteGraphics

You mean to find out if they actually did a complete job, 9 times out of 10 when someone says they removed the old graphics they mean they peeled the vinyl and left a sticky residue mess, which is even harder to get off than doing it right from the start.
Absolutely!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Update - the customer decided to remove them himself when I would not budge on my need to charge hourly for removal. The owner of the dealership kept trying to get me to do it for just the price of the new graphics. I stuck to my guns (thanks to you guys) and will be installing the new graphics later this week. I plan on swinging by there later today to talk with my contact to find out how long their guy took to get the old graphics off.

I would not rub his nose in it. Let lying dogs lye.

I would however be interested in knowing "How Well' they came off. No residue, not scrapes or dents you'll be held responsible for at a later date. Be sure to note all problems, even glue residue and take pictures, so you are not blamed later. It's amazing at how much is overlooked on their end when they do the work themselves and then expect you to cover up their mistakes for free to make a poor job look good.

TopFliteGraphics

I would not rub his nose in it. Let lying dogs lye.

I would however be interested in knowing "How Well' they came off. No residue, not scrapes or dents you'll be held responsible for at a later date. Be sure to note all problems, even glue residue and take pictures, so you are not blamed later. It's amazing at how much is overlooked on their end when they do the work themselves and then expect you to cover up their mistakes for free to make a poor job look good.

Wasn't planning on rubbing his nose in it.

Excellent advise on detailing potential problems. Thanks

TopFliteGraphics

Went by and took a look at the removal job the body shop did - The butchered it! The whole side of the truck needs to be painted now. Looks like they used razor blades first and then moved on to a DA. Could not imagine how pissed they would be if I did that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wha ?? ...............and you didn't take any pictures for the rest of us ?? :ROFLMAO:

CanuckSigns

Went by and took a look at the removal job the body shop did - The butchered it! The whole side of the truck needs to be painted now. Looks like they used razor blades first and then moved on to a DA. Could not imagine how pissed they would be if I did that.

LOL, good on you for sticking to your guns!

TopFliteGraphics

Actually, next time I hope they do the same thing - strip and repaint the whole truck. Their entire fleet looks like crap and they all need to be redone. I'd much rather work on a nice clean white canvass than a buggered up mess.