• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

removal of hood vinyl cracked and oxidized need ideas

LavelleSign

here is my situation. we have a vehicle we need to strip the hood graphics off of which is a reverse weed panel. the problem is it is 6yr old intermediate film that is cracked into scales and comes off in peices. cant scrape it, dont wanna use the power wheel and we dont think vinyl off or rapid remover is tough enough to soften the vinyl to the point we need to. what is the best option?

Pat Whatley

Based on recent events in the shop I'm gonna say to put some acetone on it. Okay, test in an inconspicuous area first but that's what I'd do.

Webby

Wall paper steamer will save you a lot of time, money and head achs from the chemicals.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Heat and a removal tool to plow the old vinyl if you can't pull it up.
Finish up w/ Rapid Remover.

Letterbox Mike

I know you said you don't want to use a wheel but the Vinyl Zapper would knock that out quickly without damaging the paint. That's what I'd do anyway. Chemicals make me too nervous.

gabagoo

vinyl zapper gets my vote..... had a customer this week decided he didn't like where I put his reflective black 3m web site and wanted it moved onto the rear window of his Jeep.
I tried peeling off a letter off, although it was pretty fresh the adhesive was completely releasing so I got the zapper out and had the entire thing off within 3 minutes.

Redz Signs Inc.

you could use a eracer wheel ther 10 bux but it will take you some time but thats what its made for . i use them all the time i was in automotive body work for yrs and thats all we used its quick if you know what your doing

Craig Sjoquist

Depends what you have or will get or willing to do. Steamer / Heat gun / wheel / replace.

6 yrs cracking, ... Another reason experienced business people like paint last longer and easier to remove or deal with. but vinyl still has good uses.

LavelleSign

we have a vinyl zapper, im gonna try and soften it with acetone if it wont wreck the paint, and use the zapper. it would be cheaper for the guy to buy a new hood i know but he doesn't wanna do that. thanks for the ideas I appreciate it.

cHECK IT OUT MAN I USE MS251 ALL PURPOSE SOLVENT YOU CAN FIND IT AT YOUR LOCAL CAR PAINT SUPPLIES ITS REALLY EASY TO USE U CAN EVEN PUT IT IN A SPRAY BOTTLE AND USE IT THAT WAY I ALWAYS ADD HALF WATER HALF SOLVENT AND IT WORKS GREAT I DONE THIS ON MANY CARS, TRUCKS, TRAILERS AND EVEN SOME MOTORCYCLES!!!!