• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removal of old bus graphics

deegrafix

I have a client wanting me to quote a price per bus for 40 busses, mostly Bluebirds, to remove the old graphics/glue before re-painting and new graphics. We've done several of them over the years. Some have only required 3-4 hours and others 2-3 days because of excessive glue and cracked vinyl.

How in the world can I give a reasonable quote on 40 of them without knowing how it will go? The lettering could have been on the bus for 8 years or 8 months and we will be doing one a week. I don't want to lose the whole job over removal but don't want to lose my ask either.

Any thoughts?

CanuckSigns

Removal is ALWAYS quoted by the hour here, what we typically do is say:

$xxx.xx/hr for removal, estimated time 6 hours, not to exceed 8 hours.

This way if after 8 hours it's not done, you stop and ask the client how they wish to proceed.

CanuckSigns

I would hate to pass on such a big project, but hourly is the only way you can protect yourself, if they won't allow it I would walk away.

deegrafix

Yummy, bus sandwiches. With or without diesel? As if bathing in chemicals is not enough....

Ok, the only thing I can think to do is put in a disclaimer that if removal takes more than 8 hrs there will be an upcharge.

Thanks for confirming my views. No wonder I'm wearing a path pacing....

TheSnowman

I'd say if they need a hard quote, it's X$$$ and you charge out the butt to cover yourself, otherwise, they can be reasonable and just pay you for how much time it takes. That's how I always do it when they have to have a for sure number on something you can't possibly give them. Then it's worth your time either way, or you lose the job.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
We've done several of them over the years. Some have only required 3-4 hours and others 2-3 days because of excessive glue and cracked vinyl.

How in the world can I give a reasonable quote on 40 of them without knowing how it will go? The lettering could have been on the bus for 8 years or 8 months and we will be doing one a week.

You need to explain just that.

If they can't grasp that fact walk away and let the paint shop deal with the removal...

We got stuck in a job like this for the military, unwrap and rewrap 2 buses. They won't pay by the hour and required that we submit a quote if we wanted the job. It was either liquid laminate or not laminated on top of that. I thought they had been wrapped for 5+ years, and turned out only a year, couldn't tell by the looks. We priced the wraps as normal, and figured on 4 days with 3 guys on each bus just to unwrap. We got lucky and just over 4 days, with some super sore finger tips. That was the longest few days I can ever remember. When it comes off in nickel sized pieces you know your in trouble!

Hourly is the only way I will do it. And I give an estimated amount of hours and tell them after so many ill call and see how they wanna proceed if I am going to be over

jfiscus

Rap Master
3M Woodgrain and Stripe Remover is your friend when you run into the removal projects that turn into nightmares... it's probably banned in some states for being toxic; but it is amazing sometimes when the vinyl only wants to come off in small slivers. I've seen other products advertised recently that claim similar miraculous vinyl remover, so they may also be worth a try. Just remember to keep it well ventilated, test in an area where damage won't be noticed and follow the mfg. directions.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Go old school and see if Home Depot will rent you a weed burner.
Just let the customer know there might be some scorching (on anything within a 50ft radius of the bus)....

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• weed-burner.jpg
    weed-burner.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

deegrafix

I settled on this:

Due to the changeable nature of the existing fleet markings including encountering unknown materials and ages of the vinyl it is difficult to quote removal as a definite cost. From past experience we expect removal to take an average of 8-12 hours and that is what this quote will reflect. In the event removal actually takes more than 12 hours an invoice for up-charges will be submitted.

Base Quote for removal of existing graphics: $*

*This quote assumes there will be multiple busses to be marked and reflects a volume discount.

We'll see........

SIGNTIME

if the buses are going to be painted after removal anyways you could use razor baldes and it would go alot faster