• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Remove painted letters from fiberglas truck top

mikeinpdx

Hi,
I'm agreed to help someone remove painted lettering from a fiberglas truck canopy. Really old & faded, but done by sign painter many years ago.

How would you remove it? I've read either use acetone or Easy Off... seems like either one might damage gel coat? Or is removing gel coat going to happen no matter what is used, since the lettering is painted on.

There is also painting on the windows as well, I'm assuming acetone + scraper to remove ( carefully )

I think your right on track with what your thinking. If it's going to remove the paint you can pretty much guarantee that it's going to take the paint off also. A repaint is a must. No way to remove back to a new shell without repainting.

papabud

Lone Wolf
any time we here have to remove painted letters off the side of anything. its always a quick sand job and off to a paint booth.