• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removeable/Reusable adhesive

thehamsterman

Hi all

One of our customers is requesting a removeable and reusable front-mount adhesive for their store windows.

basically they want to print 24x36 posters and put them in the windows on the inside of the shop.

They want to be able to leave them up for a while, then take them down when the promotion is over, and put them up again when the promotion is going on again...

We ran their first batch using semi-gloss poster paper with GBC arctic lo-tac front mount adhesive, but the adhesive got baked on to the window and was ruined when it was removed.

They then suggested we use Photo Tex, but thats a back-mounted adhesive (they're not sign people, some sales person sold them on it i guess)

So are there any removable and reusable adhesives or should we just do poster paper and suction cups?

Thanks

thehamsterman

electrostatic?

I assume you mean like a static window cling?

I've suggested using that, but they say it doesn't work. I've never had an issue with it.

We carry the Solvex brand of static cling. Print the image on the front side and then apply that same side to the glass.

If they were convinced to use it, would we have to worry about the ink getting on to the glass, if the ink side were applied to the window? We don't really market it since people can't seem to get it to work.

When you print on to static material, does it nullify the static properties?

jasonx

We haven't found any problems with it but we tell our clients to use a spray bottle and slightly mist the window then apply the electrostatic. That seems to make it stick a bit better. You don't want to soak the window just a light mist.

Ink side down doesn't seem to be a problem but ink transfer to the glass might occur in the long run if its facing the sun etc.

We've tested it but only on an internal glass window not facing outside so this I'm guessing would alter the result versus facing the sun.

Hope that helps.

Apart from that I think your going have to go the suction cap method.

Desert_Signs

We made some window clings just like you're asking about a few weeks ago. They were small (4"x8"), but I don't see why you couldn't scale it up. We got a sample kit from Montroy. IIRC, it was called Goudy or Gudy? The ones we did were double sided, with the adhesive on the front. I kept one as a sample and I've been moving it every day. No loss of adhesion.

I'll try to find out exactly what it was called tomorrow and post it here for you if someone else doesn't follow up with what it is.

Sticky Signs

Your best bet for "re-usabillity" is to reverse print on cleat static cling and than mount white vinyl to the printed side. And like JasonX says, tell them to mist it. Plus you wont get any ink transfer this way.

CanuckSigns

Your best bet for "re-usabillity" is to reverse print on cleat static cling and than mount white vinyl to the printed side. And like JasonX says, tell them to mist it. Plus you wont get any ink transfer this way.

This, just make sure you use cast white vinyl, or it could shrink and cause issues (especially Avery)

thehamsterman

We made some window clings just like you're asking about a few weeks ago. They were small (4"x8"), but I don't see why you couldn't scale it up. We got a sample kit from Montroy. IIRC, it was called Goudy or Gudy? The ones we did were double sided, with the adhesive on the front. I kept one as a sample and I've been moving it every day. No loss of adhesion.

I'll try to find out exactly what it was called tomorrow and post it here for you if someone else doesn't follow up with what it is.

http://www.gbcconnect.com/skugroup....e+Sensitive&subprod=Arctic+Mounting+Adhesives

this is what we've used. our rep referred to it as 'guddy window' so i think its essentially the same thing.

the problem is that it failed after they left it up for 5 months., and i think it only has a 90 day clean removability rating.

Desert_Signs

http://www.gbcconnect.com/skugroup....e+Sensitive&subprod=Arctic+Mounting+Adhesives

this is what we've used. our rep referred to it as 'guddy window' so i think its essentially the same thing.

the problem is that it failed after they left it up for 5 months., and i think it only has a 90 day clean removability rating.

Yes, that's what we used. I didn't realize they were looking for a permanent option. IMO, 5 months is pretty close to permanent.

If they're planning on leaving it up for that long, you are probably best to go with suction cups.