• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing 3 month old window perf

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Is there a trick to remove 3 month old unlaminated window perf? I am cutting it in 3" strips and SLOWLY peeling it from top down and having to use a flat razer blade to assist. After that's all said and done I have to scrape from thin adhesive left behind. Taking about 1.5 hrs. per window.

2B

when we remove window perf, grab a corner / edge and pull. Leaving the perf a s solid piece
We have found that pulling as close to 180* as possible helps
also get a wider head scraper
https://www.amazon.com/Zico-Zi-4080...1510430460&sr=1-3&keywords=wide+glass+scraper

If you still have adhesive residue use some remover
Adhesive Remover | Rapid Remover | Rapid Tac Inc.
let soak and use the scraper to clean the glass

for a rear window on a vehicle you should be done and ready for the next job within 15 mins of starting MAX

Last edited:

ikarasu

Use a heat gun. It takes us about 5 minutes to remove a 2x8 ft window, usually in one to 2 pieces with a heat gun.

It also probably depends on the window perf... I imagine the cheaper stuff leaves behind a lot of residue.
.we never have any residue left, and we redo windows every 3 months for some customers, and every year for others.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thanks, I actually just got back from buying a wider scraper. I'll try the heat gun method. Not sure what was used as I didn't produce it.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Geez, I've removed 50sqft in 15 mins even after it has been applied for 18+ months.
Grab a corner and just keep pulling. Don't make life hard by trying to cut into smaller strips.
You could wait for the adhesive to soften I guess by removing after it's been exposed to the sun for an hour or so, but we generally do removals after hours so windows have had hours to cool down first.
Heat guns on glass can end up costing more than it's worth... be careful with that route.

visual800

Ive always had it come off in one sheet. Try to do these things when the sun is on it, if that is possible OR at least warm outside

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Just add heat and scraper if/as needed

Adhesive remover if/as needed

If you are removing perf after 3 months and having problems, sounds like cheap material. Also unlaminated adds to the issue.

Question is why would someone do perf without lam. (Insert your remarks here for those that don’t lam your perf). Lam protects the print, stops dirt and water from collecting in the holes which makes it SAFE for the person looking through it. “Saving a buck” or “get the job” I’m sure

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

If you are removing perf after 3 months and having problems, sounds like cheap material. Also unlaminated adds to the issue.

Question is why would someone do perf without lam. (Insert your remarks here for those that don’t lam your perf). Lam protects the print, stops dirt and water from collecting in the holes which makes it SAFE for the person looking through it. “Saving a buck” or “get the job” I’m sure

Like I said, I'm just the installer, not the decision maker here. I'm working with what I have to work with. Apparently they are testing different material before they roll it out nationwide.

Christian @ 2CT Media

100% opposite, we don't laminate because we've had more issues with lam for obstructed view and failures then without. We are also in a climate that is dry and rarely rains.

ikarasu

I always see people say not to use heat on glass. We always do.. a lot of window tint places do it also.

Obviously don't use high heat when it's -20 outside. The point is to heat the vinyl up, not the window... A quick 1 second over each spot before you pulled it is enough.

Weve used heat on everything from thick, to single pane glass, and never had a crack or a break. If you put your heatgun on high heat and let it sit there... The you're going to have a problem. If you're constantly moving at a decent speed with the gun, you should be perfectly fine.

boxerbay

this is why you dont use cheap perf.
I think its been covered.

heat-pull-spray adhesive remover-wide scraper- done.

bannertime

We hire a local window cleaner that can clean that stuff off faster than I've ever seen. Ends up being cheaper on everyone's pocketbook. Keeps us on production and he potentially gets a new client after our job is done too.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I have removed perf without lam that was several years old in Florida. Go to 44tools and get a triumph 6" scraper - 6" Triumph Soft Grip Scraper. They make several styles and get a pack of SS blades. If you can't peel it without it tearing into small pieces use the scraper and peel at the same time.

These are the best Scraper you can own. They power through vinyl easier than the 3 or 4 inch Home Depot specials.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have removed perf without lam that was several years old in Florida. Go to 44tools and get a triumph 6" scraper - 6" Triumph Soft Grip Scraper. They make several styles and get a pack of SS blades. If you can't peel it without it tearing into small pieces use the scraper and peel at the same time.

These are the best Scraper you can own. They power through vinyl easier than the 3 or 4 inch Home Depot specials.

Thanks for the info. I have one similar to that but yours looks stronger. I was peeling the perf off in small bits but I sprayed it with brakleen and cut it into 12" strips and I got a 52"x100" window done in about 10 mins. I think the brakleen loosed the glue and allowed it to come off with less force and less breaking.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Everyone should own one of these Triumph scrapers. Until you have one you'll never understand how sharp and thin the blades are. Use it to scrape the adhesive residue after removal, paint and residue from new construction...

A window guy taught me a trick, only scrape in one direction, pick up the blade on the back stroke and you won't scratch the glass with SS blades.