• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing a sign : what about the holes ?

laserfred

Hello all,

This sign must be taken down. It still looks OK but the logo has changed... The new sign will be put somewhere else, so I will have to deal with about 200 holes in the siding...

What could be done to fix the wall after that ??

I was thinking of installing a color-matched red alupanel over the sign area. It could be in continuity of the curved overhang so it wouldn't look too weird, but I'm not sure...

Ideas please ?

Attachments

• lareau.JPG
    lareau.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 146

Billct2

What Pat said is a good solution, or pop rivets.
Be sure they understand it will still be noticeable

WrapperX

The downside to molded letters on a building. How much is it worth it to them to fix the problem?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Pat's solution is your best approach. Also, the color matching will be your responsibility if you are awarded the job, so price accordingly.

I hope you realize you have a lot of mis-spelled words............ :Big Laugh​

laserfred

Thanks for the help!

One thing I should have mentioned is the rods holding the letters have a diameter of about 1/4", so the holes will need quite large screws to be plugged. Plus when pulling out the letters, I expect the holes to be enlarged a bit. So I would need to stuff them with silicon AND big screws. This is going to be ugly!

Also, I'm trying to find if this wall covering is still available...

ucmj22

Thanks for the help!

One thing I should have mentioned is the rods holding the letters have a diameter of about 1/4", so the holes will need quite large screws to be plugged. Plus when pulling out the letters, I expect the holes to be enlarged a bit. So I would need to stuff them with silicon AND big screws. This is going to be ugly!

Also, I'm trying to find if this wall covering is still available...

you can pick up 1/4X2" or 1/2X2" lag screws at your local hardware store that should work fine

Salmoneye

If they were willing to live with the bad letter palacement heights/kerning... they might not be that picky. lol You say the rods are 1/4" but what size is the actual penetration? Might be different.

MikePro

caulking that many holes becomes a mess and doesn't look that great anyways.

pop rivots + paint

however, that's AWESOME that they want a new sign over the old holes!

thewvsignguy

find a hi-performance vinyl that matches the building color as close as possible. Cut 1/2 "dots" to cover the holes. If you need a more permanent way of sealing the holes, your on your own.....

Fitch

Remove the signage and screws completely.

Get ready to fill holes with silicon.

Cut "slats" from Alupanel the same width as the corrigations. Vary the length and install over the corrugations ( filling holes with silicon as you go ), some up, some down, some lighter, some darker than the existing "holed" background corrugations. This will create an "artwork" on the building.

Use VHB tape to hold in place while the silicon ( placed on corrugation and in holes ) dries and secures Alupanel to building.

Adding vinyl / paint matched today will not match in 12 months as different rates of breakdown / fade and will simply look like a wall with a $hitload of obvious filled holes.

Problem fixed and better than one huge Alupanel sheet just "stuck" up there.

Cheers - G

Last edited: