• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing Adhesive From Glass

JLD984

Hi All, I've just removed several large window prints and they've left a lot of adhesive behind. Just wondering different techniques to get rid of it? Is there something better than Prepsol to help get it off?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Rapid Remover or most any orange peel solvent will turn adhesive into something resembling snot. Then you scrape it up into a paper towel with a Lil Chizler or whatever. When you have all of the boogers removed then wash the glass with alcohol. Then wash it again with Rapid Tac II or some other cleaner. The glass should be squeaky clean when you're done.

visual800

what bob said is right BUT since rapid remover is expensive i always spray with alcohol and use scraper with razor blade, wipe and repeat till gone

always dull your razor on your vehicle glass rocking it back and forth as to not scratch customer glass

Bly

No to solvents.
Lots of soapy water and a sharp wide scraper.
It will all just fall onto the floor.

Water and 3 drops of baby shampoo with some Alcohol in a 32oz bottle...STAINLESS STEEL Large 5" Truimph Scraping Blades (these wont scratch glass if its good glass) if its soft go with the jumbo lidco plastic blades.

Pippin Decals

Ive used rapid prep and i have used Wd40 on glass and vehicles when i have residue left over, Depends on how old the decal is .Never have had an issue,just do a final clean with alcohol or rapid prep if you use WD40 and a plastic razor blade for vehicles and glass. I was told about this from a pro shop and i was very nervous at first but it does work perfect.

Chasez

Man you guys all go for the expensive stuff... Couple drops of liquid dish soap in some water will give enough lubrication on annealed glass not to scratch it and a 6" triumph scraper... Also use the same solution for installing on glass too... best and cheapest way you can go but that's another topic. If it's tempered glass then I would avoid using the scraper at all... let the adhesive soak and use a scrub pad and some elbow grease. Always test with the razor on an out of site area (edge) of the glass prior to starting to fully scrape. If you hear some scratchy noises then stop and grab your scrub pad...

Chaz

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Recently did a medium sized window print (approx 80x80) of a pizza for a local merchant.
First had to remove the old one which came off pretty easy except it left some adhesive behind.
We Used the citrus based adhesive remover which well on the old adhesive but...
it also took the paint off of the aluminum trim below the window.
I was an easy fix but be careful with the good stuff.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If you haven't used a 6" wide Triumph Scraper, your missing out. The blades on these scrapers are so thin and sharp that they scrape better and easier than the standard 4" box store scraper.

I have talked with several glass guys and the key to not scratching the glass when scraping is to pick up the blade on the back stroke. Most of the scratches are caused by grit getting trapped between the blade and glass and getting dragged across the glass on the back stroke. It makes a huge difference. If your blade and blade holder is nice and flat, you typically don't need to worry about the corners digging in.

The liquid you use for scrapping isn't all that important. It's just there to keep the adhesive from sticking to the glass after you scrape it, and it will slightly soften the acrylic adhesive. I don't use adhesive remover because it turns the adhesive into sticky gooey snot and then you have a sticky gooey mess on your hands. I use alcohol because its handy and I'll use it to wipe the glass when finished anyway. If I had a lot of windows to remove I would choose soap and water because it's cheaper and doesn't dry/flash as fast as alcohol.