• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

removing backer paper from laminator?

Signed Out

Trying to figure out how most people get rid of the used backer paper from their laminators. sometimes ill reverse the motor and unwind the backer, but it seems to be a lot of unnecessary work for the laminator. Or ill cut horizontaly across the top and take 10-15 wraps off at a time which is less wear on the laminator but a pain in the ars. Got about 300' of backer on their now, any suggestions. by the way it's a royal soverign 1401c. thanks

Custom_Grafx

After each run, I just pull and roll it back off and throw it out. Doesn't your take up roll the other way when you pull on it?

Another easy way, is to just remove the roll altogether, throw it out, and just put a new core on there...

MikePro

i slide old cores onto my laminator take-up reel and add friction with duct tape. when my roll gets too big, i take it off, put on a new core, and start again.

noted: with rolls of backing paper that I know has long runs in it, i store and use as pattern paper... all my other rolls I cut down to 1' sections and use as fire starters for my frequent camping trips/bonfire parties.

astro8

Like mikepro says but instead of the duct tape we use a couple of rubber bands on the spindle for friction and slide an empty core over that....

NoMovingParts

I tape the end of the paper to the roll with a couple inches of slack in it, then kind of roll it around the core backwards with my hands. After a minute or so, the backing paper is still taped, but is loose from the core and can be slid off.

MikePro

i always use duct tape because its readily handy, but I heard a tip on another thread on this topic....
step on the middle of an empty roll, the slight crease is enough friction to take up the backing without need for tape/rubberbands. I tried it, and it WORKED!
...i still use duct tape, however, just because.

LenR

I attach the release liner to the take-up reel with one little bow-tie of tape in the middle. It's just strong enough to hold it.
Then when I'm done I remove the take-up reel and grab the roll where the bow-tie was and turn it backwards until I feel it has come loose.
At that point I slide all the release liner right off the reel without unwinding it.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Am I missing something here?
Load a new roll of laminate along with a empty core for the backer paper. When the roll of laminate is used up replace both.

NoMovingParts

my take up core is 2" and my lam comes in on 3", and I generally swap lams often. (10-15' runs), so a new core w/ a lam change isn't in the cards for me.

Stretchedcanvas is saying the same thing, I just took the long way around the barn.

LenR

I tape the leading edge of the liner directly to my take-up. Not an empty core.
The metal is smooth so it's pretty easy to spin the whole roll backwards till the bow-tie comes loose (usually one revolution). Then the whole roll slides off the take-up and I'm good to go.
Make a little more sense now?

LenR

Question:
Why do you use an empty core to receive the liner?
Because there's hundreds of feet in one session?

omgsideburns

I use a small piece of tape to tack it to the take up.. then when it's done i tape up the outside of the roll, grab the core and twist it opposite of the way it's wound.. it'll break the tape loose that's holding it to the roll and slide off the core.

njshorts

The core slides on and off with ease. When the laminate is used up you just slide off the take-up core (that has the liner) and replace it with the new empty core you just used up.

this.

we keep the cores though, they're useful... in the downtime, we'll remove the liner. either a blade or reverse roll it on the floor/table.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
this.

we keep the cores though, they're useful... in the downtime, we'll remove the liner. either a blade or reverse roll it on the floor/table.

Use the empty cores from your expended vinyl rolls as take up cores.
You'll never run out and have to remove the liner...

njshorts

Use the empty cores from your expended vinyl rolls as take up cores.
You'll never run out and have to remove the liner...

it seems you don't have the demanding clients i do... haha

we do a lot of laminated print for a local auto dealer group, everything must be on a core. if i can save 2 cores with each laminate/vinyl roll, I can avoid buying an extra order or two of cores per month. not a ton of cash, but on a wholesale deal... makes sense, as long as it doesn't slow down the workflow.