• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing backgrounds from images

jacklo322

Good afternoon,

First, this has to be by far the best site there is. Everyone has always been very helpful.

I have a dumb rookie question. I use AI CS2. I have a picture of a person standing in front of a background. Trying to learn how to cut out that person and paste it on a different background.

Someone told me to use Photoshop with magic wand. After hours of playing with it and I have no resolution.

Please help? Thank you in advance

Keith Rae

This is more of a software user question than printer problem. Sines you don't know Adobe Photo-shop very well, I suggest you download and use Corel Paint Shop Pro. It is a great program that has been bought by Corel Draw that has all the functionality as Adobe Photo-shop but with a way shorter and much easier learning curve. You can download a fully functioning 30 day trial version from there website.
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/ca/en/Content/1152796555406
Have fun with it and good luck

Malkin

You'll need to learn how to work with layers.

Also try google searching for photoshop extraction tutorials.

stickermonkey

You just have to take the time to fool around with it. You'll get it. There are also tonnes of helpful tutorials on You Tube and sites of the like. :) You can do it. :) Good luck!!:Canada 2:

J Hill Designs

with a busy background i use the magnetic lasso to start my selection off on the right foot, then zoom in and add/subtract as needed - once you got the marquee around the dude, add a slight feather, copy and paste (this is in photoshop)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What you are wanting to do is called masking. If you are working with a raster image, it can be done in Photoshop with specialized software such as MaskPro, Fluid Mask, Topaz Remask, and a ton of others. There are also built in tools in Photoshop to accomplish the same thing in a variety of ways.

You can also create a vector using the bezier pen tool to define the edge and then use it as either a cut path or as a vector mask.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
As long as you are not trying to get wispy soft edges (like frizzy hair)... use the pen tool in photoshop and create a clipping mask or do the same in Illustrator

cgsigns_jamie

If you want to learn Photoshop join NAPP ... www.photoshopuser.com
Well worth the money.

They have a training video up right now that walks you through all the different selection tools/techniques available in Photoshop. The way they explain things it's so easy a caveman could do it ;)

Cre8iveDesigns

Don't listen to all these JackA*s's who wanna beat a guy in the ground for not knowing how to do something... i think that they have all forgotten at one time they didn't know what a plotter was or how to weed vinyl or even install it, they forget that at one time they had to be taught just like everybody else. Photoshop is a great program for this - plenty of online help just google your question and thousands of tutorials at your fingertips.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Don't listen to all these JackA*s's who wanna beat a guy in the ground for not knowing how to do something... i think that they have all forgotten at one time they didn't know what a plotter was or how to weed vinyl or even install it, they forget that at one time they had to be taught just like everybody else. Photoshop is a great program for this - plenty of online help just google your question and thousands of tutorials at your fingertips.

pops_blinking.gif
Hmmm ... 8 helpful posts, 2 sarcastic ones and a happy OP. I think you need to work on your reading comprehension skills.