• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing cast film and vehicle paint damage

boostednlinefor

What kind of paint damage have y'all seen when removing cast vinyl (3m 7125, oracal 751, etc) from a vehicle's painted surface (with original factory paint in good condition) after 3-5 years?

Does Primer 94 in trouble areas increase chances of paint damage?

Also, does proper post heating produce max bond to allow me to do a quick adhesion test of the painted surface? Or over the years will the film increase its level of bond even more than that of post heating?

J

artsnletters

i don't know about the issues you speak of, but i show people a disclaimer stating, "We are not responsible for any underlying paint defects". Meaning say someone had a cheaply done fender repair where the painted surface was improperly prepped/lacked adhesion and while removing any graphics or transfer tape, up comes the paint/clear etc etc with the vinyl. There is no way one can know about things like this....until it happens. So i have this posted on a policy sign in my office.
Tim

Malkin

What kind of paint damage have y'all seen when removing cast vinyl (3m 7125, oracal 751, etc) from a vehicle's painted surface (with original factory paint in good condition) after 3-5 years?

None ever. (speaking from 7 years experience) though the paint can oxide and fade around it causing ghosting.

Repaints are a whole 'nother story. I have had regular masking tape pull up paint before.