• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing door handles 2011 Dodge Ram

daenterpri

I'm doing a partial wrap on a 2011 Dodge Ram 3500. I'd like to remove the handles to make this install as clean as possible, but the door handles are kicking my butt. I can remove the door panel just fine, but once I'm inside there isn't really easy access to the door handles themselves and the interior shield doesn't seem to want to be removed even after I take out all the bolts. Makes sense since it's probably holding all the guts together.

Any advice? I'm starting to think I'll just have to trim it as best as I can without removing them. I don't wanna buy her a new truck! ;)

Mrose

If it was me, I would trim around them. My rule with wraps is that if it doesn't come off quick and easy, then I trim around it. The customer will never know the difference and you will save yourself tons of time.

daenterpri

I'm liking that rule right now. Everything I'm reading online right now says that this door handle is a beast!

Mrose

I work on lots of cars and Dodges are not designed very well at all for working on them. Save the headache and trim them. :)

ProWraps

cut around them. in the close to 1000 vehicles ive wrapped, not once were door handles taken off. waste of time and you run the risk of doing more damage than good.

daenterpri

What is generally your method for trimming and cutting around them? Carefully with an xacto knife? Do you try to get close to the handle? Leave a margin?

Also, how do you initially wrap around the handle? In the case of the Dodge, the handles are too tall to heat and stretch, in my opinion.