• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing frozen signposts

bayviewsignworks

I was doing ok until it froze up. Now I can't get out a couple posts and am worried about pounding them back in with the ground frozen. How do you get them out and in? 10' posts

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In this weather, there's no customer can afford us to do simple post hole digging. Pretty much unless you have backhoe.... digging for the Northeast is about done. Come back after Easter.

infinitesign

I was doing ok until it froze up. Now I can't get out a couple posts and am worried about pounding them back in with the ground frozen. How do you get them out and in? 10' posts

From the sound, they are parking sign Post (the pounding in gave it away). I always have to just take the pick pole and chop out all the frozen dirt around them. Usually only 6" down, and it takes a minute, then its loose dirt after that. Post hole directly next to it for install. Ouch.

MikePro

i take the jack out of my pickup, fasten a chunk of 2" aluminum angle and wide piece of scrap aluminum or 2x4 to place under the jack.

use power drill to engage the jack to lift and, booyah, post out like nothin'.
(for concrete bases, you will have to do some digging around the post)

CentralSigns

Buy a bag big bag of charcoal briquettes. Shovel the snow away. Cover the spot were you want to dig with bag of briquettes. Cut bag open, douse with lighter fluid, light up bag. For mild frost 1 bag will do for heavier frost use several. Test ground after first bag and each additional one. Thats digging hole instructs. Same method to remove post. Wooden posts do not fare to well, they get shorter. Good luck