• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing Lettering Enamal From Bebond Panel

JD miller

Bebond has a factory Polyester Paint on it.

Has anyone striped one shot paint off Bebond using Easy Off or just regular Jasco paint stripper ? Without damaging the Bebond factory surface paint?

I saw a youtube video of someone using Easy Off oven cleaner to remove old lettering enamal from a truck door..

I've never tried Easy Off

Billct2

You could try it on a sample piece....but is it really worth it? How big is the sign? I mean, we will try it on trucks because refinishing a truck door is a little more expensive that a new 4x8 ACM panel.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
I use compbond from Reese! $40.00 Dollars a sheet. Get a new sheet. You will not get the enamel off without some serious ghosting. I reletter with vinyl, many of our realty signs, and I strip the glue from the panels with Goof Off! It will eat at the white surface if not careful. As far as one shot, it's made to last! I think you'll find, you spend less time in the end just getting a new piece of substrate.

JD miller

Easy Off worked great. Used a bondo squeegee. Didnt get all the paint off, but when I hosed it down, used dish liquid and a small plastic finger nail brush all the reaming paint and paint residue smears came right off with alittle scrubbing
Didnt damage the BeBond polyester paint at all, no scratches, looks like new

SignKingCanada

Bebond has a factory Polyester Paint on it.

Has anyone striped one shot paint off Bebond using Easy Off or just regular Jasco paint stripper ? Without damaging the Bebond factory surface paint?

I saw a youtube video of someone using Easy Off oven cleaner to remove old lettering enamal from a truck door..

I've never tried Easy Off

I've removed 1-shot from painted steel and from Acrylic plastic without any problems using oven cleaner. While i've never used Bebond, i've used DiBond and Alupanel which is pretty much the same thing and i've found the white coating to be quite durable and wouldn't be apprehensive about using oven cleaner on it. It isn't like using laquer thinner to remove laquer ink or paint; oven cleaner requires a bit of elbow grease to remove enamel.
All that being said, I would paint a piece of ACP with a bit of 1-shot and try the oven cleaner on it to make sure it doesn't harm the surface.
Good luck.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Where do you come up with this customer crap comment drama? Your attempt at being condescending ?
What he is getting at is that you don't value your time very high. A new sheet of white ACP is typically $32-$40 for 4x8 and $45-$70 for 5x10... How long did it take you to scrub off the ink? For us with a shop rate of $95/hr a new panel is the cheaper better option.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Where do you come up with this customer crap comment drama? Your attempt at being condescending ?

Like so many..... you don't tell us all the facts, but want praise when you do something in which most people find silly, in the end. It is not condescending to ask these questions, I've asked, unless you are guilty of what took place. A vast waste of time, energy and supplies is what you did. If you are too poor to afford a new piece of substrate for yourself, that's one thing, but if it was for a customer, as which was thought on most peoples' part, then it is a foolish business move.

Let it be said/known...... most here are looking for the most professional method of giving customers a professional product. If for ourselves, I, for one, would wanna deliver a first class project.

SignKingCanada

What he is getting at is that you don't value your time very high. A new sheet of white ACP is typically $32-$40 for 4x8 and $45-$70 for 5x10... How long did it take you to scrub off the ink? For us with a shop rate of $95/hr a new panel is the cheaper better option.

In his defence, regardless of what your shop rate is,without having all the information, one could be a bit more diplomatic in suggesting he weigh his options. What if the enamel painted portion of just 1 small change in a sign that is hand-painted with hours of time into it? Also, sure a new sheet may be only $45 but you have to stop the job, get on the phone, order a new sheet, pay for shipping and tax, wait for it to arrive, etc. In that amount of time one could have removed the enamel and had the job finished and paid for. Who knows. But without all the info, we can only help our colleagues with suggestions. I don't think Gino intended to sound condescending but it did sound a bit like he was.
We're all in the same boat here; we should be respectful to each other.

Johnny Best

If we are all in the same boat I hope he has some respect for everyone and not spash any of that nasty oven cleaner on me.
I would tell him to let that piece of painted metal alone and don't bring it in the boat. We will just buy a new sheet when we get back to the dock.
"Sit down your rocking the boat"!

SignKingCanada

If we are all in the same boat I hope he has some respect for everyone and not spash any of that nasty oven cleaner on me.
I would tell him to let that piece of painted metal alone and don't bring it in the boat. We will just buy a new sheet when we get back to the dock.
"Sit down your rocking the boat"!
Wow
You can piss away your money anyway you want. And if you want to be afraid of something housewives use everyday then you're free to do that too. It doesn't change the fact that skilled sign people use oven cleaner all the time and don't get scared and throw away perfectly good material and buy new because they refuse knowledge and have more money than skills. Until 25 years ago when computers enable Anyone with a few bucks in their pockets to buy some equipment and pretend they are signmakers, real signmakers used enamel for hundreds of years and they have used oven cleaner to remove it since 1932.
Just because you choose to not learn any skills does give you the right to act superior to those who do.

Johnny Best

Just because I wrote something silly about your all of us being in the same boat analogy, you assume that I feel superior, and from your name it seems you have a superior problem more than I do. Well, you just steered the boat in shallow water.
I am not some young person who never hand painted or use Easy Off to remove paint, so I did learn skills from my signpainter grandfather starting when I was 14 in 1962.
And on another note, since I was a signpainter in the past I am a person who knows how to save a dollar (that's US not Canadian), but there is a limit to what I will do in wasting my valuable time in trying to save that buck.
Hope you will climb up the ladder and get out of the boat and stay at the dock for a another boat that comes along that has your cheapass friends in it so you can stick up for them next time somebody puts a shot across their bow.

Christian @ 2CT Media

If $45 breaks the bank, you need to price jobs differently, again you don't value your time. Your suggestion is bunk, I wouldn't even touch the old sign with out the client knowing that i'm only going to remove it when the new one is complete and ready to swap out. No Time lost, no fuss, no muss.

For us personally we are looking for efficiency as in the long run that nets more profit than trying to squeeze pennies out of a dollar. We value our only commodity that we can't get more of and that is time, no matter the price we put on our time its never enough as its a finite resource.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Zingers....... coming from all sides.

Let's try to get something straight. If I want to be condescending, you will know it. You won't hafta guess about it. Whether you're rocking the boat or rubbing til your elbows fall off, I'm more about making money, hence the reason I got into a trade I knew something about and was trained to do. If someone cannot or will not tell us all the details, then we must either speculate or just answer with the little information provided. Making up 17 different scenarios is not gonna do it, so please.... leave the useless baggage at home. It doesn't fit into the equation anywhere.

The whole gist of this story is..... is it better to scrub off old paint or start with a new piece and if I hear ya say again, ya hafta call it in, wait a day or any other crap..... who in this business, only orders what they need when they need it ?? That's why we stock things. So, we can go to the shelf and start as soon as we can fit it into our schedules. I hardly think, if someone needs a simple piece of substrate, you stop everything you're doing and start on that job immediately with a phone call out of your busy day. We're always days to weeks out on production and if some odd substrate or supply is needed, we generally order that as we see fit into our schedules. That's why one writes things down or makes notes.

Even if you're working outta your dining room and do one job at a time, you still do things in an orderly fashion. For cripes sake, your reasoning would make it wrong to take time out of this guys day to waste time doing all this foolishness of cleaning an old piece of crap, just to save a coupla dollars American or Canadian..... or yen.

When you need an inexpensive piece of substrate, why waste time recycling crap and running the risk of looking like a hack ??

Therefore, why I asked how much he saved. How long did it take ?? Did he hafta go to the store and buy over-cleaner ?? He had to get a finger nail brush and dish detergent, unless he's using things form his wife's kitchen, so now you just wasted her time and effort next time she wants to do the dishes or her nails.

C'mon, stay professional and stop defending dumbness. :peace!: