• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

removing molding and emblems from a vehicle, best way?

VicoDrive

Looking to put some decals onto a vehicle which will require removing a couple of the F250 Ford logos and the long rubber bump guards along the bottom of the doors. Never done this before, do you really just pry it off with something like a plastic window scraper or is there something you should spray behind it to get it to loosen? Also, after its removed, is there left over adhesive that should also be removed? And if so, whats the best way to get rid of it?

threeputt

One way to do it is to get some 120 pound fishing line. Cut a short length 24 to 30 inches and tie each end to some sort of "handle". (can be anything, chunk of wood, etc)

Then begin "sawing" back and forth behind the emblem.

The remaining glue can be removed with Rapid Remover or similar.

VicoDrive

One way to do it is to get some 120 pound fishing line. Cut a short length 24 to 30 inches and tie each end to some sort of "handle". (can be anything, chunk of wood, etc)

so using it like dental floss, hmmm... Will go pick some up in case the other option doesnt work as well

JBusch260

I've always had luck with a heatgun, and a chisel set that is meant for vehicular use (high impact plastic). Go slow and be patient.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen

+1

Mosh

Heat and fishing line combo is what I do no emlems, the molding heat and once I get it started pull. The glue the put them on with is VHB on steriods....

gspicer

I use a heat gun, braided Spiderwire and a pair of leather gloves. Braided Spiderwire has more bite than regular mono-filament line and it won't stretch or break, it's like super thin piano wire that won't scratch/gouge auto paint. Just wrap the line around each gloved hand and goto town on the emblems and molding. It also helps to have a cheap auto molding removal kit from harbor freight for prying up emblems when they have nubs underneath that catch on your line.

-Gregor

Craig Sjoquist

Just drive down a bumpy road the whole car/truck falls apart, labels 1st...think I'm joking look at all of the ones missing lol lol lol

visual800

We use a 5 in 1 paint tool and then scrape rest of adhesive with razor scraper no issues yet. Keep in mind the f250 is going to have a hole behind it

jfiscus

Rap Master
The pink "Lil' Chizler" is my favorite tool for removing VHB adhered emblems, although I admit that I have never tried the fishing line trick...
Once the plastic is off, get a corner of the remaining VHB/adhesive lifted up and pull it along the surface "away" from the rest of the adhesive and it will all come right off in one piece with no residue. Once you figure that trick out you'll hate that you wasted all that time fighting the adhesive. ;)

johnnysigns

You fishing line masochists must love cleaning up the glue.

With a cheap harbor freight tools plastic molding kit I'd try the emblems cold, then scalding hot from a heat gun and lastly try fishing line if nothing budged. New vehicles will usually shed at least a part of the letters clean off which means no glue remover and no glue remover to degrease which I think is most important if you're wrapping that area. That stuff FUBARs wrap film adhesives if you miss some.