• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing old cracked vinyl wrap from trailer

0igo

does anyone have a fast method of removing old cracked vinyl off a trailer? Will products like vinyl off help in speeding things up? Or are there any other chemicals / solvents out there that could work? And has anyone tried Weldon 3 or 4 on stuff like this before?

Attachments

• 5AE8B505-17D3-439D-A9EF-C9BCDA66C632.jpeg
    5AE8B505-17D3-439D-A9EF-C9BCDA66C632.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 727

2B

Hot water pressure washer

this works good, have tried scrapers, soaking, steamer, zapper, etc. the pressure washer is the most efficient.
* it makes a MESS, make sure you do it where it is easy to clean. That vinyl turns into a MILLION little peaces that go everywhere.
* it gets LOUD with flying debris, wear protection.

see if you can find a local 18-wheeler cleaner, they should be able to do it for you

Gino

Premium Subscriber
does anyone have a fast method of removing old cracked vinyl off a trailer? Will products like vinyl off help in speeding things up? Or are there any other chemicals / solvents out there that could work? And has anyone tried Weldon 3 or 4 on stuff like this before?

In what respect ?? To remove or put on the back of the vinyl ?? Weld-on products are for adhering acrylic items, not removing anything. As for 4, I've never used it because it's highly flammable.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
In what respect ?? To remove or put on the back of the vinyl ?? Weld-on products are for adhering acrylic items, not removing anything. As for 4, I've never used it because it's highly flammable.

Lol, when I first read "weld on to remove something" I thought... Ok, this is way the fuck over my head.. glad I'm not the only one questioning how you use glue to unstick something.

2B

I read the reference to Weldon as leaving the old material, but add extra glue to keep the new material in place on the old material.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I read the reference to Weldon as leaving the old material, but add extra glue to keep the new material in place on the old material.

I can see how you might think that, but it was only requested how to remove cracked vinyl, what chemicals and does anything else maybe work. Then, a plea if weldon would work. Even so, anyone who has ever worked with the weldon products, knows it it very very fast acting and drying. How would something like that even be considered for helping adhere of all things..... vinyl ??

Andy D

Regardless of which method you end up using, it's helpful to have heat lamps on the inside of the trailer
pointing towards the side you're working on.