• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

removing old vinyl?

john527

I am tring to remove 12 year old sun baked vinyl strips off from a RV with aluminum sides, has anybody used rapid remover? does it work?
I have tried a vinyl eraser and heat gun but its a pain in the a**
:help

Bigdawg

Just Me
We use Rapid Remover a lot. The trick is to let it set - and not to water it down like I've seen some people do. It turns into this nasty, gooey, snot-like mess you can then scrape off. Sometimes it does take a couple go-arounds with sun-baked vinyl.

BobM

Rapid Remove works great on the glue. Wallpaper steamer, heat gum, heat lamp, all will do the job. Getting the right temperature is the key. Too cool won't come up, too hot mushy mess that could stain the finish. Patience, paid by the hour is the only thing that works.

Craig Sjoquist

WHY I like paint just repaint.

Why redo a 12year old surface, with the effort and expense to remove this vinyl garbage
just replace the material it goes on.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We have used a 3M product in an aerosol can "3M woodgrain & stripe remover" for old vinyl like this with excellent results. It can be purchased at Smyth Automotive or maybe your local sign product distributor carries it?

Read the directions & follow them. Follow it up with Rapid Remover to get the remaining adhesive off. Rapid Remover is great for taking off adhesive, but you have to get the old vinyl off first.