• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing Old Vinyl

RoadShow

Just had a customer with a van with about 10yr. old vinyl lettering and stripes that wanted it all removed and new put on. Arrg! thats a toughy.
It just so happened it belonged to a PPG store. I was talking to them and they said PPG had a product to remove vinyl.(sure you do). Short of the wheel decal remover it probably won't work. So i said if you get me a sample of it I'll give it a try.
Well gues what.. IT DID WORK! It's called Prep 502 Fleet Label/Decal Remover. Must have cut my time by at least 4 to 6 hrs.
Follow instructions for set times. I've always looking for ways to get the old vinyl off and it did work very good.

J Hill Designs

I dont think I would use it on anything but properly applied automotive finishes:

Prep™502 can soften or even remove some coatings (generally one component products) depending on the type, age, and degradation due to weathering.

westpointsigns

I used a set of these and a heat gun on a 3' x 48' implement dealership sign with 10+ year old vinyl on it. I also used them on a 15 year old motor home to remove the old factory graphics with no heat (did it on a HOT day in direct sunlight).

You can get better leverage for scraping and the length allows you to keep the heat on an area without burning your fingers.

When they start to dull I sharpen them by pushing them over some 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

I picked them up at Harbor Freight Tools on sale for $9.99.

Just trying to add to the conversation.

Attachments

• DSCN4430.jpg
    DSCN4430.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 147