Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Old Vinyl

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by RoadShow, Aug 3, 2012.

1. RoadShow

RoadShow New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    USA
    Just had a customer with a van with about 10yr. old vinyl lettering and stripes that wanted it all removed and new put on. Arrg! thats a toughy.
    It just so happened it belonged to a PPG store. I was talking to them and they said PPG had a product to remove vinyl.(sure you do). Short of the wheel decal remover it probably won't work. So i said if you get me a sample of it I'll give it a try.
    Well gues what.. IT DID WORK! It's called Prep 502 Fleet Label/Decal Remover. Must have cut my time by at least 4 to 6 hrs.
    Follow instructions for set times. I've always looking for ways to get the old vinyl off and it did work very good.

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I dont think I would use it on anything but properly applied automotive finishes:

3. westpointsigns

westpointsigns Member

Jun 30, 2009
    I used a set of these and a heat gun on a 3' x 48' implement dealership sign with 10+ year old vinyl on it. I also used them on a 15 year old motor home to remove the old factory graphics with no heat (did it on a HOT day in direct sunlight).

You can get better leverage for scraping and the length allows you to keep the heat on an area without burning your fingers.

When they start to dull I sharpen them by pushing them over some 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

I picked them up at Harbor Freight Tools on sale for $9.99.

Just trying to add to the conversation.

Attached Files: