• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing Paint from Awning??

sdnj

Hi,

Customer tells me that the aqua blue was removed/stripped from the center part of this awning. Awning appears to be vinyl coated type. I have searched forum but no answer on this.. Does anyone know what can safely remove the color from this awning? He only wants to do where the lettering is. Thank you.
attachment.php

Attachments

• awning.jpg
    awning.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 388

sdnj

remove it like any other vinyl then.....

I meant the awning itself is translucent, not concerned with the vinyl lettering. Customer wants to remove the aqua blue coloring to the left and right of the center part, I'm just not sure if it is dyed or latex or what. He claims the aqua color was removed from the center part above the doors somehow.

J Hill Designs

I meant the awning itself is translucent, not concerned with the vinyl lettering. Customer wants to remove the aqua blue coloring to the left and right of the center part, I'm just not sure if it is dyed or latex or what.

its probably also translucent vinyl

edit: however, it could be eradicated awning material. In which case you would eradicate the rest. I can offer no help in the method though.

Marlene

looks like an eradicated vinyl awning. no idea how to do that but I do know it is done with a chemical process of some sort that leaves the background and strips off the color where the letters are. if you can find info on that, it should work to take all the blue off

sdnj

Just wanted to mention that it appears I may be able to use Acetone instead of Cooley Magic Eradication Fluid. This method may proove cheaper. I will test small area first to make sure it does not kill the material.

Just wanted to mention that it appears I may be able to use Acetone instead of Cooley Magic Eradication Fluid. This method may proove cheaper. I will test small area first to make sure it does not kill the material.

It will work, but be prepared for it to take foreeeeeevvvvvvverrrrr. Very slow, messy process.

sdnj

It will work, but be prepared for it to take foreeeeeevvvvvvverrrrr. Very slow, messy process.

Luckily customer has decided to just paint over the whole awning and make it opaque (glad I don't have to) and I will just do the Vinyl Lettering. Of course he wants to do it "as cheap as possible" though.

Z SIGNS

I would Remove

I would remove myself from this job and work on something else.

Never had a good experience with the people who want cheap.

Can't wait to see what it looks like with a paint job.
Post a picture when your done.

Good luck with your awning project.

visual800

if he wants it painted i would take awning down and spray it. i have done this with latex and it worked out great. i have also rolled on site. rolled doesnt look as good as sprayed but this sounds like a pita customer that will end up not doing anything

another option is to match the awning with paint and just paint the fascia of it.

Jwalk

Painting it is much more of a good cheap idea. Roll it on and if he doesn't like the finish tell him to suck on a lemon:Big Laugh. Sand the painted area first for a decent adhesion.