• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

removing painted vehicle lettering

OhioSignShop

even if you get the paint off it will still have a "shadow" image. The top coat of paint has protected the original paint from UV fading and the difference will show.

H

HSG

I recommend only Mr. Muscle brand oven cleaner. The other brands don't contain enough lye. Be very careful with it. It is neutralized with water. If you get it where you don't want it to be, just wash it off. I spray it in a cup and dab it on with a brush or Q-tips. Wait a few minutes and wipe off with water. Apply as many times as necessary. I use a paint scrapper with a plastic blade to help remove the lettering and use Bob Ami cleaner to scrub off the stubborn spots. Then buff it out. Don't spray the entire door and don't leave it on for more than a few minutes at a time. If left on too long it can damage the paint underneath by softening it, leaving a discoloration or removing it completely. It is best to test the background paint somewhere where you will not notice it before attempting to remove the lettering just in case the vehicle's paint job has been poorly done. Sometimes you will have ghosting from the old lettering depending on how long it was on. I always tell the customer what might happen and make sure they understand the risks. In the case of this local fire company, repainting was not in the budget so they took the chance. It turned out great and the ghosting was so faint you didn't notice it with the new lettering. The truck had been repainted several times during it's life.

Attachments

• Paint removal.jpg
    Paint removal.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited by a moderator:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"this is from feburary"

I blame Pat
- I follow all his posts without looking at the date stamps.

wayne k
guam usa

So who removed the lettering?.....

slappy

they used oven cleaner and it had swirl marks i just covered most of it up with vinyl. they weren't worried about repainting it cause the front was beat up slightly also

Last edited by a moderator: