• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing reflective from aluminum street signs

visual800

I wouldnt have wasted my time eventrying to strip these. Order new ones and throw the old on the recycling trailer. i hate stripping vinyl much less damn reflective.

Mattshel

Cover them, in my business specifically every one of our signs is reflective and we cover signs all the time. A general tip for anyone on here looking at covering signs is to not use 3M 3400 Engineer Grade to cover anything, it translucent bordering on being almost transparent so your layer below is quite visible especially if it is a darker coloured vinyl. We usually give the signs a good cleaning before covering them just to remove anything stoping the new layer of reflective adhering properly. You could also try one of those "vinyl zapper" tools to remove the HIP reflective them just re-cover the High Intensity material with new stuff.

BK Vinyl

Thank you for your reply, Mattshel. I have settled on recovering, however, we have noticed the same thing with the 3M reflective. Any recommendations?

blufftonsignguy

Have you tried the vinyl eraser? I have used it in the past and it works great! It's costly to purchase, but well worth it in the long run!!

BK Vinyl

Have you tried the vinyl eraser? I have used it in the past and it works great! It's costly to purchase, but well worth it in the long run!!

I have one of the wheels you chuck into a drill, and a pneumatic vinyl zapper. Both work great for most vinyl removals. I'm all for tool strength over elbow grease.
That being said, neither will take off HIP Engineering Grade Reflective at a rate faster than 1-2 sq ft an hour.

skyhigh

The vinyl zapper is NOT the tool for this job!!! It would take forever and the cost of the wheels used on each, would be more than the aluminum.