Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Removing Top Laminator Roller

Discussion in 'Laminators' started by Rat_Fink, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Mishawaka, IN
    Hello - I have the model MVT-600 from masterlaminator.com.
    After primarily running 30" material through, it has developed an indent. Now when I try to laminate large material or even mount to large panels, I get bubbles in the center.

I need to replace the top roller and I am having difficulty getting it out. Attached are some photos (that someone posted in another thread) that are identical to my machine.

I removed the retaining rings from the ends of the shaft. I would think that the bearing would slide off, but it feels as if it is catching on something on the other side. Unfortunately, I can not see in there.

lam1.jpg lam2.jpg

Has anyone removed one of these rollers that might be able to give me some help?

I have a call and email to the supplier, but have not heard back yet.

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Any holes where there could be set screws. Ours has a pin on one side and set screws on both sides.

3. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    No, but on a side note, we had a Seal laminator that had cuts and gouges in the top roller,
    we removed it, took it to a machine shop & they were able to take 1/8" off... It worked as good as new then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    If there isn't anything to unscrew, you may need to unscrew the chain from the bracket. Looks like once the chain is off, it'd slide out of the hole. Kind of surprised they haven't replied. David was pretty quick to reply when we were purchasing. lol.

5. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    I agree with the chain Idea. There should be some sort of slack needed to get those to slide off properly and they are not going to slide at an angle. Is the roller lowered as much as possible Those bearings should just barely fit over the center rod.

6. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Mishawaka, IN
    The lift mechanism was pressed on. I used a gear puller and it came right off. There isn't enough play to get the roller out so I had to disassemble one side of the frame.
    hopefully able to get it back in the machine today to see how it works.

I found a local shop that has experience with these rollers - they trued it up for me - so fingers crossed.

Dave finally replied and told me that I'm on my own. No help whatsoever.

7. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I was thinking about this today and was wondering you had a flat spot or a low spot...
    would it help to fix it to take out the material, crank the tension all the way up, rubber-to rubber,
    and let it run for 6-8 hours.