• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing VHB from sheetrock

Signsforwhile

We did 60 apartments numbers for a management company 3 months ago. Each photopoly apartment number is adhered with gray VHB tape on the painted sheetrock. Their board has decided to change the color of the signs. So we gladly made a new set and are set to install them tomorrow.

Any ideas on how to remove them with least damage to the sheetrock? Pulling might rip the sheetrock up....

Billct2

Fishline...good luck.
Perfect example why mounting tape, especially VHB isn't always the best method.

Branded Signs

The best advice? Say a prayer prior to removing.

Honestly, the only thing we have ever done that helps in the least is heat the VHB slightly and take a putty knife to scrape off as much as you can. Still get SOME damage obviously, but in our experiences, that has worked the best. A bit time consuming, but better than completely tearing up the wall.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Use a 50 pound fishing line to slice between the numbers and the Sheetrock. The remainder of the VHB will have to be removed with good old elbow grease. Sometimes a vinyl squeegee will work as well. Usually fingers work better though.

Mosh

I do the fishing line trick too, I tie a key ring on each end of the line to make handles to pull with.

Border

with that many to do, it might be worth a little time to fabricate a make-shift hot wire cutter that would be able to lay the cutting wire flush to the wall surface. You can easily use an old "wall wart" DC transformer for the power supply.

Pat Whatley

Mark the edges of the sign on the wall before you remove it. Cut through the tape with fishing line tied to a couple of handles.

When you go to reinstall the signs stick new VHB inside the lines you marked and not over the old VHB tape.

If your old VHB is in the wrong place to make that possible it will probably be faster to just cut through the paper face to the drywall and remove the paper behind the sign.

Signsforwhile

Fishing line looks like the best solution so far....pobably some kind of stainless wire would be the best option though.

Not to concerned with leaving a mess behind the sign, as long as the new one can go back up.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
If there wasn't silicone used, you can have a sign/letters off within seconds. Fishing line with handles (dowel cut to length etc) and you're golden. No gloves needed. Also a plumbing saw can kink and scratch wallpaper. It works and I've used it, but I prefer fishing line.

John Butto

Stainless steel leader fishing wire, 60 lb test on #2 dowels with holes thru middle with wire wrapped around.

Bly

Tear a few off and tell them VHB being permanent won't come off without damage so get their painter to pull them off and patch the walls.

Install on a clean fresh surface,..

Signsforwhile

FYI. Sent my guys up this morning to swap the signs out. Fishing line kept ripping, so they called me for an official OK on a "Pull & Pray" method :Big Laugh

Looks like they prayed enough. Sure there was damage but all within the confines of the new signs. Done and done!