• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing Vinyl from Vehicle Problem

Renato Pinto

Graphics Manager
So i just tried removing a small piece of vinyl from a truck and the paint is coming off with it.

I haven't touched it since but i was hoping on some input. Do i just need to heat it up before i start stripping the vinyl wrap? Any other tips?

Thanks

DerbyCitySignGuy

So i just tried removing a small piece of vinyl from a truck and the paint is coming off with it.

I haven't touched it since but i was hoping on some input. Do i just need to heat it up before i start stripping the vinyl wrap? Any other tips?

Thanks

Yikes! How old is the truck and the wrap?

Heating may help, but if the original wrap was done with the wrong vinyl, you could be in for a mess.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Not a problem with anything you're doing likely. Time to talk to the customer and let them know that they may have a bad paint job. Even with the worst of letters, it's rare that I get paint pulling up.

Prior to removing anything, get them to sign some sort of damage waiver.

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

bannertime

This typically only happens with repainted vehicles. Poorly done painted ones. There is no warranty or any type of guarantee on non-factory paint jobs or even factor paint over say a year old. I'm honestly not sure there will be anything you can do. Heating it up might help, but it may also make the paint worse. :covereyes:

Last edited:

equippaint

We've had that happen, thankfully not on our own paint jobs. It's usually down lower where people are too lazy to sand before painting so be more careful and try to not reposition on rockers and wheel wells on stuff that has been re-painted. If it peels up, I just stick it back, peeled paint in tow, and let it eat. If it fails later, it's pretty easy to explain that it was a paint issue.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
You're definitely going to want to stop and let the customer know. Like Texas said, have them sign a waiver if you haven't already. If it's a wrap, I've "run" from these in the past. You have know clue how much time you're going to have into it. Hopefully it's just a small amount of lettering.

Sometimes heat, especially a lot of it, will bring more paint up with the vinyl if it's a really crappy paint job.

msenjur

i agree with bannertime, but i think that all this new water based colors arent so tough as previous two component colors.

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
Show the customer, the paint is not your fault,nor the vinyls. We have had the same problems with early 2000s Chevy white and we have added some air release vinyl over the chunks that got removed.

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
Damage is already done, Tell the customer and if they're fine with it. Start peeling the vinyl (and most of the paint along with it.)

decalman

No guilt on your part. Either repainted, OR not paint correctly at factory. They probably waited too long putting on the final coat. Some cheapo desperate types will want the stickers thrown on anyway.

If they are idiot's ( chances are good) they'll blame you for everything.
Take no sheet. Be prepared to turn the argument on them. You can win this.

PS Get money up front . Let them know your no spring chicken.

PS again
I would kill them in this debate.
I'd also bring release forms for them to sign, which will cover every base, then I install stickers, on sucker paint job.

Thanks for asking.