• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Removing Vinyl

leerobcody

Does anyone have any tricks or advice of how to remove vinyl lettering from work vans? I have 30+ vans to do for a customer and I have never removed before.

letterman7

Oy... search function bud. That's a real basic task for any shop. If you can't handle it, send him to me... I'm not that far away!

Mosh

I hate my "employees" out there peeling and heating and peeling....pretty basic stuff!

S

SignTech

heat - plastic scraper edge - finger nails - mild glue remover see fellers for after vinyl is removed - patience -

hope you charged appropriately, depending on amount to be removed and vinyl type (especially crap vinyl) it can be as labor intensive as installing ...

sign a waiver with customer ... no guarantee if paint fails and you're not held responsible ... it's bound to happen

jwright350

Hate to say it.. but low cost, temporary labor with plastic scrappers and a heat gun is where its at when you have 30 to do would be my guess (i've never done 30 at once). (Assuming its just cut vinyl.) You'd be amazed what 8 bucks an hour will do! LOL.

You can get one of those vinyl zappers and spray on the orange peel and go pretty fast. I've seen those put to very good use removing impossibly stuck on wraps.

We charge $48 per hour for removal.

Mosh

I got a job to remove a house from a lot. I already got the job since I was low bid, can someone tell me what I need to do to remove the house and if I might need a dumptruck?

letterman7

If you don't like, don't read!
If you don't search, you'll get hounded, especially for your first post. There isn't enough info here - are they full wraps, just vinyl, a combination? If they are inside you'll be ahead of the game in this weather; heat guns, lots of time and two guys working for about a week. You could try a hot water pressure washer - I've heard that it will work, but I've never personally tried it.

MikePro

+1 to search function, i believe there's at least 3 other threads with the same content... including replies.

if you're taking on a project to remove 30 vans' worth of graphics, I assume you've removed vinyl before. So my best advice would be:
....1 at a time.

ooor, learn how to train someone to do it well, pay them $6 an hour, and bill out $30 an hour plus tax plus overhead.

leerobcody

Bein new I apologize for not knowing about the search, will know next time. It is just lettering and a logo no wraps. They are supplying a heated building which will help this time of year. I got asked by a friend to do this because a large local company shafted them. Contrary to some peoples beliefs that I may have undercut someone else and am now looking for help. Thanks for the worthwhile suggestions!

S

SignTech

don't sweat it .......... just cover your butt legally in writing especially if it's a friend ...... you will pull up paint or cause minor scratches potentially ....... introduce yourself on s101 ......... have thick skin ... it's a good place ......

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey leer.....

Don't worry about knowing where search buttons are or how this place functions, you'll eventually figure it all out, just like this job with the 30 trucks, but..........

You don't like the dumb responses to your opening post.... :frustrated: so try this on.

• How 'bout explaining how one bids out 30 vans to remove all the vinyl and doesn't have a clue as to how long it will take.....
  • How 'bout explaining how one bids out 30 vans to remove all the vinyl and doesn't have a clue as to what materials or supplies one needs......
  • How 'bout explaining how one bids out 30 vans to remove all the vinyl and doesn't have a clue as to how to approach the job.........

How did you come up with a price fair to you ...AND your customer [guinea pig] for this job. You don't know if it will be a van or two a day or one a week. How does the rest of your work-flow take place if you're gonna be away at someone else's heated garage for the next month or two ??

Sure hope you figured in lost time on the rest of your projects. :doh:

CheapVehicleWrap

Hate to say it.. but low cost, temporary labor with plastic scrappers and a heat gun is where its at when you have 30 to do would be my guess (i've never done 30 at once). (Assuming its just cut vinyl.) You'd be amazed what 8 bucks an hour will do! LOL.

You can get one of those vinyl zappers and spray on the orange peel and go pretty fast. I've seen those put to very good use removing impossibly stuck on wraps.

We charge $48 per hour for removal.

Ohh yes, you can CERTAINLY be amazed at what $8 hr. can do; to a single vehicle let alone 30. Just figure on 1-3k per repaint and you'll understand the potential liability. Definitely not a road I'd take.

gabagoo

Heat guns are fine but sometimes I like using a wallpaper steamer. They dont burn you as bad as the heat gun. Ours accidently had the head break off so it is now just a hose that spouts hot steam and works better than when it was new!!

FS-Keith

Hey leer.....

• How 'bout explaining how one bids out 30 vans to remove all the vinyl and doesn't have a clue as to how long it will take.....
  • How 'bout explaining how one bids out 30 vans to remove all the vinyl and doesn't have a clue as to what materials or supplies one needs......
  • How 'bout explaining how one bids out 30 vans to remove all the vinyl and doesn't have a clue as to how to approach the job.........

How did you come up with a price fair to you ...AND your customer [guinea pig] for this job. You don't know if it will be a van or two a day or one a week. How does the rest of your work-flow take place if you're gonna be away at someone else's heated garage for the next month or two ??

Sure hope you figured in lost time on the rest of your projects. :doh:

:iamwithstupid