Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repairing clear acrylic ?

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by laserfred, Aug 17, 2011.

1. laserfred

laserfred Member

Hi guys,

Is there a way to repair a chip in a clear acrylic piece so it "disappears" ? I was thinking a something like the UV setting resin that is used in windshield repairs..

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
    You could try the resin, but I believe the "heat" generated will cause you more problems. As you might already know, the best solution is total replacement.

3. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    lay a piece of PETG (maybe polish up the surface of the petg with some car wax) across the flat portion. tape it into place. put the acrylic up on it's edge with the repair facing up and fill it with a non-yellowing epoxy. after cured, sand and buff it out. it won't be PERFECT. but you will have to know to look for it to find it.

4. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    +1

5. laserfred

laserfred Member

:-(

I tried with epoxy but the surface wasn't smooth enough. We can clearly see the shape of the fixed area through the acrylic... If it had been opaque or painted, it would be perfect. At least I tried. Am re-cutting the piece right now.

Thanks Artbot.