• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replaced parts, Still NO Black

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
After doing a cleaning and soaking my heads overnight I lost my black altogether (Cyan was printing in place of black). So I have changed the captops and dampers. ( My wife said that when she was priming the damper with ink it went hard at first then suddenly was easy. Maybe a clue? ) anyways, when I got home I noticed that the black damper looked half empty. so I removed it and filled it by pulling ink in with a syringe while it was upside down to let the air out and soaked the heads once more
All this did not help. the black is only firing about 20 nozzles and now I noticed that the black damper is half empty again.:banghead: Should I put another new damper on?

It seems as though the black ink is not getting to the head because the damper is half empty. (yes it is a new cartridge)

This thing is driving me crazy!

djinnerman

Last time I was working with the black damper, I pulled air out of it and filled it up. It didn't print any blacks. So I performed a clean, test print, and only a little came out. So I printed large blocks of K 100% and the nozzles returned. The cyan printing out of black is most likely due to contamination of the heads, hence the head soak.

You have a picture of your most recent test print?

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
no I don't have a pic right now but I just did another test print. From right to left... Yellow, magnta, cyan,...NOTHING no black at all.

I didn't have a problem till I soaked the heads. Could a 3rd party headcleaner damage the head somehow?

So, it seems that the head is not getting the signal to fire or is clogged or its sucking air from somewhare? I guess my next optoin is to gently push cleaner thru the head from the damper mount to try and clean it out.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Dampers should naturally be half full but I do see a fair amount of completely full ones and it is usually a sign that the maintenance station is failing or they are just old. So if yours are half full they are working properly.

If there is any air in the ink line, you probably have a bad seal between the damper and ink line. If there is no air in the ink line then the ink flow system should be fine.

Check the head manifold for any cracks around where the dampers sits. Sometimes there can be a crack that isn't apparent because the plastic is black. Use a bright flashlight to see it better. If there is a crack or any other type of damage, that would cause the black to drop out like it is.

Sometimes the cartridge will get double punctured so double check that there is only one whole in the septum.

It's fairly rare for an electrical issue to cause only one channel of a head to fail but I have seen it happen. You could try doing a cable/data swap with the magenta/yellow head to see if the black fires. If it does, you have electrical issues probably pertaining to the main board or a bad cable somewhere.

Make sure you unplug the machine before working on it especially when checking/replacing cables!

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
Dampers should naturally be half full but I do see a fair amount of completely full ones and it is usually a sign that the maintenance station is failing or they are just old. So if yours are half full they are working properly.

If there is any air in the ink line, you probably have a bad seal between the damper and ink line. If there is no air in the ink line then the ink flow system should be fine.

Check the head manifold for any cracks around where the dampers sits. Sometimes there can be a crack that isn't apparent because the plastic is black. Use a bright flashlight to see it better. If there is a crack or any other type of damage, that would cause the black to drop out like it is.

Sometimes the cartridge will get double punctured so double check that there is only one whole in the septum.

It's fairly rare for an electrical issue to cause only one channel of a head to fail but I have seen it happen. You could try doing a cable/data swap with the magenta/yellow head to see if the black fires. If it does, you have electrical issues probably pertaining to the main board or a bad cable somewhere.

Make sure you unplug the machine before working on it especially when checking/replacing cables!

Now I've really done it. Tried swapping cables. Turned off main power but didn't pull plug. swapping cables didn't work. temp too low message came up and couldn't do anything.Swapped the cables back and NOW I have nothing printing from the K/C head at all. ​This is just going down hill fast.

Juraj768

Now I've really done it. Tried swapping cables. Turned off main power but didn't pull plug. swapping cables didn't work. temp too low message came up and couldn't do anything.Swapped the cables back and NOW I have nothing printing from the K/C head at all. ​This is just going down hill fast.

Hi.

Now your K/C head is not dead. You have problem with fuze on mainboard. This is elektrical problem. Try to find fuze, check it and change.
If you dont help contact me

Juraj