• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replaced the dampers now what? (No Cyan)

speedmedia

Hey all,
Just replaced some dampers in my printer and I am not getting cyan to come out. It doesn't look like it is coming through the lines yet. All other colors are very stout and good.

After replacing the dampers I did several ink fill ups and then a few strong washes.

Anything else I should try? It just feels like the ink isn't getting there.

Thanks,
Kurt

WrapperX

Have you tried connecting a syringe to the cyan damper(s) and pulling ink through the lines?

:goodpost:

This is what I was going to suggest. Pull ink from the line below the carriage rest but before the lines get through the pumps. Use a syringe, don't pull to terribley hard but give it time after you pull to allow for the vaccum to even out.

slopoke

I was having this same problem with a JV3-160SP recently. Changed the damper with no improvement. Turned out it was the capping station not getting a good seat on the head, replaced that and haven't had a problem since.

speedmedia

Ok guys this is going to sounds dumb but I don't get where to connect the syringe to the damper. I am a little timid as well as I heard it is easy to waste a head doing this...

Thanks,
Kurt

I was talking about lifting the damper out of the head. Connect a tube from the syringe to the bottom of the damper, where it connects to the head. Slowly and gently pull ink to fill the damper. When it is half full, connect it to the head.

If you're still getting air in the lines after that, check the cap or the lines between the cap and pump.

SignAnnex

You'll want to detach the damper from the print head and draw from the bottom of the damper. You can also connect a syringe to the tube that goes to the waste tank and draw with the print head seated over the capping station. Your not going to damage the print head as long as you go easy.

tbaker

when pulling the dampers, make sure you pull straight up, don't wiggle or rock it, and don't twist it side to side, the manifold that sits on top of the head is made of plastic and can crack with little warning, if that happens, you have to replace the manifold, which means pulling the head.

So just be careful.

sticker_monkeys

Just had the dampers changed on our Mimaki, some of our ink wasn't firing either. Our capping station was also replaced so it doesn't sound like too bad of an idea for you to do as well. The general maitenance to keep the printer working clean.

speedmedia

Thanks all! I will try to get the dampers filled in the morning and see if that helps. Otherwise I will replace the capping station as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Thanks,
Kurt

WrapperX

I found that trying to pull ink, with a syringe, directly from the damper is too risky. I've ruined many a damper trying that. I have found great success in doing a suction from the lines below the capping station.

Another way to tell if you need a new capping station is to do the suction from below the capping station back by the pump. have someone else stand by the front of the printer and put their ear down to where the carriage sits on the station. When doing the pumping, if the person with the ear to the station can hear a hissing sound or the sound of air moving through a tight seal - thats a solid indicator that the capping seal around that particular head is bad.

No sense in replacing parts unless you know for sure they are bad - although the capping station is one of those parts they recomend replacing at least once a year.

speedmedia

I found that trying to pull ink, with a syringe, directly from the damper is too risky. I've ruined many a damper trying that. I have found great success in doing a suction from the lines below the capping station.

Another way to tell if you need a new capping station is to do the suction from below the capping station back by the pump. have someone else stand by the front of the printer and put their ear down to where the carriage sits on the station. When doing the pumping, if the person with the ear to the station can hear a hissing sound or the sound of air moving through a tight seal - thats a solid indicator that the capping seal around that particular head is bad.

No sense in replacing parts unless you know for sure they are bad - although the capping station is one of those parts they recomend replacing at least once a year.

Still got nothing. It seems the capping station is fine. It is just not getting any ink to the cyan heads for some reason. Would the pump be the next thing to look at? I did pull ink to the damper and there was some air in the lines but it isn't doing anything.

Any other ideas to try?

Thanks,
Kurt

WrapperX

Well if the capping station is fine, you should still be able to pull ink from the line below the capping station, but before the pumping unit, until ink starts to fill the syringe. This will pull ink through the lines above the dampers, fill the dampers and fill the head into the capping station and down torward the line.

If you're still not getting anything, you may have a clog somewhere between the ink cartridge and carriage. This is more complicated and I personally have never had to address this issue. It was only suggested to me as a possible problem when I was having problems. Luckily for me it wasn't that. Hmmmm...I'm not sure what else to say.

speedmedia

Or there might be a small fracture of the head connector.very common problen when changing very old dampers..

Yeah I am thinking it could be that. I have a tech coming out to get it up and running, I just don't have the time to mess with it much anymore...

Thanks to everyone for the hints, tips and suggestions!

Thanks,
Kurt

speedmedia

Had the tech here yesterday. The pump was bad changed that, did some cleaning and back in business!

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Thanks,
Kurt

MikePro

printer back up n' running is good news for your "1337" post!
(that's "leet" or "elite" for you non-nerdy video gamers out there)
good to hear!

might be looking into a new pump soon, myself, as my cyan "valve" randomly doesn't close making the fluid just drain out when I do nozzle washes (and worries me that eventually might stop working/drawing ink through the capping station)