• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

REPLACEMENT Cutter Teflon strip

Is there anywhere you can buy the cuteer teflon strip in a roll???

It would be nice not to have to pay $35 for a 5' piece. Is there anywhere you can buy the stuff in rolls where you could cut it to size as needed????

Mosh

How ofen you change it? Our machine runs 5-8 hours a day, and I change our strip like once every three years. You must putting too much downforce or something....

Techman

Actually, its not teflon..

order 1/16" or 3/32 HDPE sheet in a 24 x 36 peice.

You will have enuf for the rest of your life. It will be about 10 bux.

Thanks guys... Its about a year old.. Probably coming due... Signwarehouse suggeted changing it because my cutter hasn't been cutting optimal..

gabagoo

My graphtec actually has the teflon strip, but it looks like carbon fiber vinly and the adhesive, when new is always trying to fall off of it...hence teflon. I think the stuff you guys get cut is the white plastic material found on different plotters.

I can get a piece to last maybe a year if I am lucky as most of the cutting is done on the lower 24", it wears out there much faster.

Techman

Be sure to measure your wear strip for the proper thickness if you want to go the HDPE route.

Pat Whatley

I replaced the strip in one of my Summas 18 months ago with sandblast mask (the hard-ish green stuff, not the rubbery stuff) in an emergency. Been working like new since then.

Drip Dry

Can someone enlighten me.
Why does the strip wear out... how do you know if it's worn out, and
most importantly... how do you replace it ?

My cutter is starting to cut unevenly. For instance, some letters cut OK and
some don't.
Is this a sign that the strip is worn ?

Thanks
JT

gabagoo

it can be the teflon strip.The problems will be somewhere continually on the y axis. If they are random then I woukd think the blade tip may be damaged or the bearings in the blade holder need some grease.

einsteingraphic

JT,

The strips wear out because of too much force being placed on them from the blade. You can usually tell the mat is worn out when you start to see white showing through. If you start to cut into the plastic under the mat you MAY run into uneven problems even if you change the mat. Changing them is easy. The old one will pull off once you get a hold of one end. Move pen block to one end and start on the other with applying the new strip. Once in the middle, move pen block back to the other side you just completed and continue. Be sure it is on straight. Do not let it touch the metal platten or you will have uneven cuts. Hopes this helps and good luck.

Newbie_on

Can someone enlighten me.
Why does the strip wear out...

Thanks
JT

I have seen people placing the blade holder incorrectly,
Make sure the lip in the middle of the Bladeholder is seated flush against the metal arm in the tool carriage, and that the top of the clamp rests on top of this lip.
If you do that then you have to extend the blade way out in order to reach the material and will cause inconsistent cutting and or wear the strip out

Most common incorrect blade depth and exesive down force.

Drip Dry

Thanks everyone.

I see white and I have to put more and more pressure to get a
good cut.
I'll change the strip
Thanks