• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Replacement for Mimaki JV3-160SP?

theeventsource

Hey Everyone,

Our Mimaki JV3-160SP is 6 years old (we bought it used 2 years ago) and it just giving us problem after problem. :banghead:

Now it looks like the controller board may be bad, and I just don't see us dumping the money into it.

I have a lot of Roland dealers around, but we won't be buying new. What do you all recommend for 60" solvent printing? Are the hp's any good? Everyone who has a Roland seems to love it.

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

WB

I've got 2 JV3's that are still running strong.. I think 1 has 120000sq ft on it and the other one maybe double.. Overall I'm pretty happy with them.. what about a JV5? or a JV33?

MachServTech

I do really like the HP L25500 60". I have been a big fan of the Epson GS6000 also. I have been debating getting a newer machine for a long time and for me it has come down to these two machines.
Here's how I compare the two:
Epson GS6000
Excellent image quality using dual head with 3.4 (or so) picoliter drop size. Really good color gamut with the extra orange and green channel
Not happy with any amount of VOC's anymore...GS6000 is still a solvent printer. Good reliability but I still have to deal with two high $$$$$ printheads. and periodic solvent cleaning
But damn that print quality is great!

HP L25500
Very easy to use. Epson is low maint. but the HP is NO maint :)
So much like using an aqueous printer. Dont have to wait for drying or outgassing of prints. The printheads are user replaceable and only about $100 ea. It has digital optical advance comp to get rid of banding.
Negatives.....not as small a drop as the GS6000....also a smaller color gamut. Not sure yet, but I am wondering if I can run all the spec medias I need.

I can tell you this I dont think you could go wrong with either of these. I am leaning a little towards the HP because I am sick to death of solvent printers.